Question For Canadians

Decorating By CakesByBeth Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 3:41am by MKC

CakesByBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBeth Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hello fellow Canadians!
I am looking for a brand of paper towel that does not have any impression, so I can use it to smooth down buttercream. I always ready about Viva brand, but I can't find that anywhere! I'm in Ontario (Toronto/GTA) and I am convinced it's not here.

Has anyone found another brand to use for this same purpose?

8 replies
cake4mygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4mygirls Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 9

I've never seen the Viva brand either (Ontario as well). I'm going to try and remember to grab some next time I go across the boarder. Every other brand of paper towels I've tried has a pattern, although I have used a patterned piece and it didn't look bad. I think I've read about using parchment (maybe waxed) paper instead, but I've never been brave enough to try it. I've also done the hot knife method and managed to get a nice smooth finish.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

Look at the generic brands like No Name or whatever store brand name Metro uses. You can look at them in the packages before you buy. One of the cheap brands has no texture at all.

You can also use bakers parchment paper.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 12:44am
post #4 of 9

Try to ask a restaurant or something. I know in public washrooms they have those big huge rolls of paper towels with no print at all, there should be something similar for restaurants and bigger kitchens... Just a though.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 9

I too live in Ontario & was told by a cake decorator that she uses plain white printer paper (get it from the $ store). Tried it & it works great. When it starts getting greasy, throw it away & use a new piece.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

The Bounty I get from Costco has very minimal patterning on it.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 9

As we've all discovered, Viva paper towel is not available in Canada. I stock up when I go to the US. I know some people buy it through Amazon. As a PP has said, you can use computer paper and a fondant smoother. You can also use the Melvira Method (it's here on CC) where you use a high density roller on your crusted BC. It works very well.

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

I thought it was just my part of Canada that didn't have these magical Viva towels icon_smile.gif

I've had good luck with wax paper. Frosting tends to stick to parchment paper for me.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 3:41am
post #9 of 9

I found paper towels at Canadian Tire in the paint section. It looks like this but it's white...sorry I could not find the link. It has no patern and it is stronger than the regular paper towel.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/ChamoisTowels/PRD~0396641P/Blue+Shop+Towels.jsp?locale=en

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%