Spot The Difference - Help! What Tip/nozzle?

Baking By NinaBeee Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 2:29am by denetteb

NinaBeee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NinaBeee Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 11:41am
post #1 of 14

Hi,

Firstly what a great forum/site... I found it recently and I am so happy about that- thanks to all the great contributors; it is a huge helpful resource! icon_smile.gif

I have just joined the forum hoping that some of you can help me find this amazing nozzle seen in the pictures? I can't figure out if there is a difference between them??

I think the effect is absolutely beautiful & delicate... It gives such whispy, soft folds! Stunning. Please help!

Finally I think the last cupcakes may have a different nozzle? Very similair but even lighter? The attachment is a .pdf - I combined a few pictures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
NinaBee

...From a little dot Malta in the Mediterranean Sea....

13 replies
Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 14

I believe it is a 1M tip

NinaBeee Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalady

I believe it is a 1M tip

Hi Lalady,

Thanks for your suggestion...

I'm a newbie baker and it can be difficult to tell the subtle differences in the 1M, 2D or even the 1B.

I have done loads of research and I somehow can't figure out the difference exactly.. icon_confused.gif

Thanks,
NinaBee icon_smile.gif

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 14

You're welcome. I don't do many cupcakes, but it looks like they were all done with the same tip. Maybe a cupcaker can tell if a different tip was used.

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 14

They all look like 1M tips to me. The one that's lavendar with butterflies is different because it's swirled from inside-to-out rather than the other way. I can't see any real difference otherwise.

NinaBeee Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 14

** I have added this attachment to better show the piping. I think the nozzle may be a Wilton 2D as the swirls look thinner/ more ruffles & lighter than what I am used to with my 1M?

Could this just be a technique issue??

Thanks for your input icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaBeee

Hi,

Firstly what a great forum/site... I found it recently and I am so happy about that- thanks to all the great contributors; it is a huge helpful resource! icon_smile.gif

I have just joined the forum hoping that some of you can help me find this amazing nozzle seen in the pictures? I can't figure out if there is a difference between them??

I think the effect is absolutely beautiful & delicate... It gives such whispy, soft folds! Stunning. Please help!

Finally I think the last cupcakes may have a different nozzle? Very similair but even lighter? The attachment is a .pdf - I combined a few pictures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
NinaBee

...From a little dot Malta in the Mediterranean Sea....

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 14

As an avid user of the 1M tip, I'm nearly certain they are not 1M, however, I only use that tip so cannot help you determine which it is...so sorry about that. I'll be following this thread for others' input, as I really love the look of this piping moreso than the 1M!!!

NinaBeee Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

As an avid user of the 1M tip, I'm nearly certain they are not 1M, however, I only use that tip so cannot help you determine which it is...so sorry about that. I'll be following this thread for others' input, as I really love the look of this piping moreso than the 1M!!!

Hi Cambo,

Thanks for that! I felt the same way...

I agree with you so much, I really think this piping looks amazing and also seems so underused! When I browse the lovely galleries I don't see this often and it is so delicate, and fresh.

NinaBee

icon_smile.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 4:54am
post #9 of 14

I believe it's the 2D tip. I got similar swirls once when I thought I had a 1M on. I think this pattern is more about the technique-- how the person used the tip. If you google 2D cupcake swirl you'll see similar images with the thin edges.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 12:11pm
post #10 of 14

I think it is a 2D. However I think 2D and 1M look pretty similar, I just think the 2D doesn't use as much frosting so I generally use that one. It looks like they are starting from the outside, going in and going up 2 or even 3 layers. Can you post of pic of your efforts and maybe we can help get you to that look?

NinaBeee Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 14

I have been doing *alot* of research into trying to find the nozzle by searching through galleries etc...

In fact I came across a helpful Cakecentral thread : http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=719406&highlight=

So I finally think the effect is from a Wilton 2D. (I think it could one of Lakeland's nozzles but I have decided that the Wilton 2D comes close enough! ) There definitely seems to be some technique involved - more pressure gives more ruffles...

Thanks vgcea and denetteb, I am about to purchase the tip - once it has arrived I'll post a picture of my efforts! icon_smile.gif

You'll have to be patient since I'm in Malta, tiny dot in the Mediterranean, it will take over 10 days for the tip to arrive! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

denetteb Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 14

If you haven't already hit the order button, and you are feeling adventurous, you could modify your 1M into close to a 2D. They both have the same number of points, the only difference I notice is that 2D is closed and 1M is open. I think you could take and gently bend in the points of your 1M. The 2D is actually bent in a curve and if you did it yourself it might not have the same bend but might be worth trying if you didn't want to wait 10 long days.

NinaBeee Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 14

My Wilton 2D nozzle arrived in the post this week icon_biggrin.gif and today I made a small batch of Vanilla Cupcakes which I piped with my new tip!

I really *love* this tip! I think the ripple/ribbon type effect is really lovely! icon_smile.gif I did not practice before & whilst piping I realised that the more pressure you put on the bag and going slower creates more of a ripple effect.

I am also interested to see the results when I try the rose style piping.. I did do one today which looked interesting but definitely needs practice, hence no picture...

So please see my attached picture, I think the piping style is a match for my original attachment. I think the mystery is solved, do you agree??

P.S. @denetteb, thanks for the tip, good to know that you can convert a 1M if need be to a closed star!

Thanks for the help along the way icon_smile.gif
LL

denetteb Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:29am
post #14 of 14

Success!!! Well done. Now pick up that bag and try a rose. So easy and so impressive, your friends will think you worked for hours. Just start from the center and swirl to the outside. Like magic. Next time I need to do your suggestion of slower and more pressure, I would like more ruffly too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%