Questions For Home Bakers

Business By sarahsweetcakes Updated 2 Aug 2012 , 10:55pm by scp1127

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 17

Those of you that live in a cottage food law state, do you mention on you website that you are a home based bakery, and how do you word things? Just trying to get some ideas for the best way to do things.

Also, should I register my business name with my state? Are there other things I need to operate legally?

I just want to say everyone here is always so helpful. Ya'll are awesome!

Thanks!

16 replies
lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 17

I am just starting out with baking at home, and I don't think I will include that on my website. There's no shame in it, I just don't think it is necessary. I know that most of the wedding cake businesses in my area are based in home kitchens and their websites make no mention of it. I registered my business name. I am not sure how much legal claim that gives me, but it couldn't hurt.
You probably need to get your kitchen inspected before you can legally operate from home.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 17

You would have to check with some kind of authority where you are in Germany - like a health department or whatever oversees food selling there. They will know what you have to have, what you can have, and what you cannot have for your home business.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:12am
post #4 of 17

Yes, I have it right in the header of every page on my site that my business is a legal cottage food operation. I do this for two reasons: 1. I want my customers to know that I operate from home legally, and 2. I literally gave blood, sweat, and tears to be able to say that, and I'm going to sing it from the rooftops.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 1:15am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

You would have to check with some kind of authority where you are in Germany - like a health department or whatever oversees food selling there. They will know what you have to have, what you can have, and what you cannot have for your home business.

You wouldn't have known it from this thread, but she just moved to Kansas (if it helps).
"Anyone bake from home in Kansas?": http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7310695&highlight=#7310695

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:46am
post #6 of 17

Yes, I just moved to Kansas. Sorry, I wasnt here to clear that up. I need to change that on my profile. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:54am
post #7 of 17

I have a section on my website that states that I'm a CFL baker that includes my state's requirements. One of those requirements is that I have to disclose that I'm uninspected and unlicensed and I think potential customers deserve to know that upfront.

lovinspoonfull Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:18am
post #8 of 17

I have to be inspected to operate in my state, so it seems to me to be no different than if I operated from a commercial kitchen. I don't see anyone explaining to customers on their website that they are working out of a commercial bakery. If it's legal... it's legal. No explanations necessary IMO.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 17

My website simply says this bakery operates under Florida's cottage food law on my contact page. If some one ask about it I explain. We have to label everything we sale Made in a cottage food operation that is not subject to Floridas food safety regulations.

here's a link for anyone who's interested
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/CottageFoodAdvisoryMay%202012withFormNumber.pdf

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinspoonfull

I don't see anyone explaining to customers on their website that they are working out of a commercial bakery.

I do, on the web site for my bakery I wrote that all products are produced in a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen. In a state with a CFL this could be a competitive advantage for some customers if they are uncomfortable buying food made in an uninspected kitchen.

lovinspoonfull Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I don't see anyone explaining to customers on their website that they are working out of a commercial bakery.

I do, on the web site for my bakery I wrote that all products are produced in a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen. In a state with a CFL this could be a competitive advantage for some customers if they are uncomfortable buying food made in an uninspected kitchen.

I should have been more specific in saying that as far as my area is concerned, I have not noticed that bakeries are shouting out that they are a commercial kitchen on their websites. I see that it could be an advantage though! Which is why I don't plan on shouting it out on my website that I operate from my home! If asked, of course I will tell. Seems that many in my area are calling themselves a boutique bakery. Clever wording for home based.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 17

I currently dont have my cfl status on my site, but I think it's a great idea. Not that clients read the info on my site anyway, but for those who do it saves a step by explaining beforehand. As for registering my business, my business name is registered so I can have a DBA account, and I have my tax Id as well.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 12:37am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I also have it on my website that I operate a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen .My state does not have a CFL and there are a lot of people operating illegally out of homes so I need to let customers know so they can have a choice as to what route they will go.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 12:57am
post #14 of 17

When I put up a website, I will be stating I am a home based baker. I will probably do a little paragraph about wha tit's like to be a home baker and what was required by the BOH. I am also going to post a cute picture of my house on the "where I am located" section. I see part of the charm of baking as the fact that it is done from home. Home-made. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 2:14am
post #15 of 17

Mine is a full commercial kitchen that happens to be in my home.

I explain the whole thing on my site. People love to see my home and see the huge bakery operation on the ground floor.

I think I have pictures of my license still on the site.

One of the first things you learn in sales is that you must believe in what you are selling. For those of you who try to hide from or skirt around your home kitchen, you obviously do not believe in your own product. If CFL is in your state, be proud of your opportunity. Eventually the customer will find out and those who didn't know up front will feel that they were lied to. Conversely, the baker who embraces CFL and shows pictures of her immaculate kitchen and surrounding area will be fully disclosing her mode of business. A brief explanation of CFL would be helpful along with a photo of a food safety class.

Another good idea is to show a picture of the home on your site on the contact page. People are always worried they may have the wrong house, but a picture of the house with the address will make that clear.

People want information. The website is the best place to get that. Be clear, and most of all, be proud of your CFL opportunity. You set the tone. Your enthousiasm will be contageous.

lovinspoonfull Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 17

Actually it has nothing to do with whether I believe in my product or not. It has everything to do with being competitive in my market. I don't want to lose business to other home based bakers in my area who are not putting that info on their websites. I can't find one in my city that discloses that info. But, maybe I will. Because I do believe in my product, and I am not ashamed that I do not have a storefront. Just trying to make a good business decision.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 17

Again, those other bakers can't keep it hidden forever and then deception by omission becomes a lie.

it doesn't matter what other people are doing. It matters what you do and how you want to portray your business. My guess is that like many areas, it is to be posted on the site by law, so there is no debate or decision.

I'm not really addressing one poster, but this has come up many times and I post the same thing. From experience, I have tried to sell something I wasn't sold on and it won't work. But every person who has the opportunity to operate under CFL should inform and educate their customers and be excited about the opportunity. I have many times expressed my opinion on the negative economic impact caused by CFL, and because of that, I am definitely not a fan. But I respect the law and I respect those who do business in these areas.

CFL is a throwback to the way food business was done years ago. It is sentimental, homey, and a "feel good" way to do business in these states. It encourages the small operator to offer goods that attract tourists and higher income people to buy local, homemade and handmade goods. This is the "Norman Rockwell" picture I would be painting if I had a CFL business. But so many people are skittish about the concept and how the public sees it. My opinion is that the public sees exactly what you portray. The CFL proprietor is in full control of how CFL is perceived to the public.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%