Support Question

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 4:49am by MsNeuropil

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am second guessing my design plans. the cakes are 14,12,10 and 8 inch tiers. The dummies in between each layer are 10,8,6. I am planning to dowel each layer and a center rod through it all. I will transport in 3 sections. Do you feel I should use a center pipe instead?? The underneath side of the cake drums (1/2 drums each cake) of the tier above the dummies is also worrying me. What do you guys do to cover it. I was thinking of just turning the 1/2 white cake drums upside down??? I don't know why I am being so brain dead. Maybe it's my sons wedding and I have never met his bride to be. Nervous.... Thank you for you help[/img]
LL

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

I am planning to dowel each layer and a center rod through it all. I will transport in 3 sections. Do you feel I should use a center pipe instead??

If you're transporting in 3 sections, there's no need for a center dowel rod or pipe.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

I don't understand what you are refering to when you say '1/2 drums' - especially the part about turning it upside down. Each drum/styro round should be covered w/fondant or similar to keep bits of styro from getting on the icing of the cake it will sit on.
From your sketch you need only dowel the two bottom
tiers.
Starting from the bottom you will have a cake board; cake w/doweling; styro covered at least top & bottom; cake tier on a board; styro covered; cake w/doweling on a board. and finally styro covered, then top tier on a cake board.
As CWR said, no center doweling is necessary if transported in 3 sections.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

I took it that the 1/2 drums referred to 1/2" thick drums that are to be used on each tier as the cake board.

I assume you want your white drums to show around the cake (or they will show, if they're larger than the cake diameter), but you don't want the bottom of the drum to show when looking up from the styrofoam spacer... correct?

I don't think many people will look at the cake from that angle or take photos from that angle, but if it's a concern (and your drums aren't completely covered), I think it's a brilliant idea to use them upside down. (If it's exposed foamcore, might want to cover with Press 'n Seal or have each tier on their own corrugated cake circle before placing on the drum.)

dreamacres Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 12:37am
post #5 of 7

thanks guys for your help. I am planning to use 1/2 inch thick cake drums on the 12, 10, 8 inch tiers.
She wanted to put "bling on the bottom of each tier so instead of a bottom boarder on the cake I was going to put the Bling on the drum which comes covered one side only. Sounds like it may be a bad idea? Thank you for your replies. Old habits are hard to get rid of and it will take several more large cakes without center dowel before I can break the habit. I have always center dowel and it is so hard to give it up.

dreamacres Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 1:09am
post #6 of 7

Thank you crw41. I am sure that you are thinking what a nut. I do not do many cakes anymore and the little things drive me crazy. ie bottom of boards. I need therapy I am sure. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

MsNeuropil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsNeuropil Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 4:49am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

Maybe it's my sons wedding and I have never met his bride to be. Nervous.... Thank you for you help[/img]

I feel your pain since I am in the process (right now) of making my sons "elopement" cake and am also nervous my soon to be daughter in law might be expecting much more than she is getting. Hang in there!

My second guessing is pretty much over since it's too late now that it is a few hours away. I figured after my oven decided that it couldn't get above 300 degrees (YIKES) I just had to laugh at it all at this point and call to ask if I could borrow someones oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%