Big Task At Hand! First Cake, Need To Comfirm My Plans.

Decorating By solace Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 7:06pm by Annabakescakes

solace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 2:53am
post #31 of 93

For the ganache, when you say 2 parts chocolate, one part cream...so I would buy 1 (8oz) cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of chocolate(16oz)?

And I am a boy yes lol. icon_razz.gif
I'm not like many guys...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:11am
post #32 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraving

I am totally pulling for you.
And I guess man. A women would take insult instead of being thankful.

When you're right, you're right!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:20am
post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by solace

For the ganache, when you say 2 parts chocolate, one part cream...so I would buy 1 (8oz) cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of chocolate(16oz)?

And I am a boy yes lol. icon_razz.gif
I'm not like many guys...

No - by weight, not volume. 16 ounces chocolate to 8 ounces cream. 1 pound of chocolate is more then 1 cup (by volume), but 1 cup of cream is 8 ounces.

Get a semi-sweet or bitter-sweet chocolate either chips or bars, and go by the weight on the bag if you don;t have a food scale.

And you are probably going to need 24 ounces chocolate, 1 1/2 cups cream to make enough ganache for your project.

mickeypanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickeypanda Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:53am
post #34 of 93

Go Solace!

BakerzDad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzDad Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:56am
post #35 of 93

I really want to see the end result looks like, my first attempt of purse cake was initially an LV but changed it into Chanel because it's not as hard to do.
It took me months of preparation (mostly in my mind), researching and I had the chains, logo etc done a week in advance.
Good luck OP, I like your confidence. Word of advice, do a lot of youtube research and you should be fine.
Please note that fondant is heavy medium, unlike clay so you have to be careful when handling fondant to prevent tear and crack.

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:42am
post #36 of 93

Here are my ingredients in total. Michaels saved my butt! They were open til' 9:30 so i could get my gumpaste. While there,,,, i was amazed at their selection, and found two possibilities for painting in the lv lettering pattern. Some type of edible gold spray, and a pearl dust made by wilton. and the brown coloring... not pictured is an ivory ICING coloring.... would that work out for the gum paste or fondont as well? or just icing? I could test a tiny amount out. But it's not a necessary color.

2 types of chocolate, in sum they are 16 oz.

27 bucks total and I'm ready for fun.
LL

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:50am
post #37 of 93

Woo hoo!

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:06am
post #38 of 93

forgot to get wax paper and a large sifter... this sifter has taken me 20 minutes and i'm only halfway through the bag..... be back in 10 to continue! lol

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:37am
post #39 of 93

There is no shame in pulling an all nighter. I have done that on plenty of my cakes

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:52am
post #40 of 93
Quote:

There is no shame in pulling an all nighter. I have done that on plenty of my cakes

You guessed my secret plant icon_twisted.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:55am
post #41 of 93

Go solace!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:57am
post #42 of 93
Quote:

Quote:

I often go from Wednesday to Sunday with little to no sleep....Like 3 hours in 2 days, then repeat.

vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:01am
post #43 of 93

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but freshly made MMF needs to rest overnight for best results or at least a couple of hours.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:22am
post #44 of 93

Wow...I hope your girl realizes what a doll you are!

Good Luck...can't wait to see your finished design!

(GREAT idea using those poundcakes)

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:22am
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but freshly made MMF needs to rest overnight for best results or at least a couple of hours.

MMF?
and and rest where? in a fridge? wrapped in surran wrap?

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:25am
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

Quote:

I often go from Wednesday to Sunday with little to no sleep....Like 3 hours in 2 days, then repeat.

Wow that is nuts! reminds me of myself in highschool back when I was addicted to computer games icon_razz.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Wow...I hope your girl realizes what a doll you are!

Good Luck...can't wait to see your finished design!

(GREAT idea using those poundcakes)

Thanks for the luck icon_biggrin.gif
I think she realized I was making a cake... but she has NO IDEA...what kinda cake i'm making for her haha! NOT A CLUE.
and if she doesn't like it.... at least I found out a new hobbie I like ^_^ this is great!

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 10:08am
post #47 of 93

So far, the fondant is in the fridge.
The purse is carved.
The purse has been coated in ganache, and put in the fridge.
Decor time.

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 10:39am
post #48 of 93

This is the funniest thread EVER!!!! Go Solace! icon_biggrin.gif

BakerzDad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzDad Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 11:08am
post #49 of 93

Just out of curiosity which LV purse are you trying to re-create? Is it something like Speedy? Can't wait for the end result, please update us with your progress (photos if you can)

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 11:08am
post #50 of 93

A big cheer from across the Atlantic for you! You rock!
My boyfriend can't distinguish between flour and powdered sugar and he lives with a professional decorator - me!

And yes, in wedding season, Thursday and Friday nights are usually spent awake or with just a couple of hours sleep...

subyu62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subyu62 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 12:18pm
post #51 of 93

Solace, when you are done please be sure to show your GF this thread. Your excitement and determination are awesome!

I'm cheering for you!! ........ Can't wait to see pictures!!

vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 1:18pm
post #52 of 93

It's probably late now but Re: resting MMF
cover with a coat of Crisco, wrapped properly in saran wrap, leave on the counter top

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 1:44pm
post #53 of 93

The Suspense is killing us all, waiting to see that final result. And don't forget to get a photo of you girlfriends reaction!

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 2:36pm
post #54 of 93

Whoo..hooo its on now!! Rooting for you too!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:08pm
post #55 of 93

If you've put the MMF in the fridge you need to let it come to room temp before using it otherwise it will be really stiff to knead and roll.

How's it going otherwise? I'm really excited about seeing the finished product!

solace Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:04pm
post #56 of 93

Thanks for all the encouragement ^_^

I am about to put together pictures and post... maybe in an hour I'll dump them.

I think I'm going to make the fondant again, I made it perfect, except.... the color got me! I figured "Ohhh.... I'll add a littleeeee extra black so it's extra dark brown, so when I add the flower it'll lighten back up." WAS I WRONG. It stayed, and, from a camera's perspective it looks black.. but its not, its just reallly dark brown.I even made extra mellow fondant and put it in with it, no change... sooooo, back to the fondant later when I get home from work, but that was fun, was very much like kneading clay, going for what they call the "monkey face" every time you knead it with both palms... In the end it separated too quickly, so added a little bit of water, tried pulling it again, kneaded it, til' it broke apart at arms length when pulling apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerzDad

Just out of curiosity which LV purse are you trying to re-create? Is it something like Speedy? Can't wait for the end result, please update us with your progress (photos if you can)

I'm not trying to make any lv purse in particular, just trying to get a similar shape 3-Dimentionally, and referring to the features I see on real purses, and the idea of beveling the base edging from the jessicakes tutorial with the tiny cake. I really like that flap over the top of it.

Here is one picture for now, that was before the ganache settled onto the cake so yeah It does look rough... it wont really matter... I think?? Once the fondant goes on.
LL

vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:51pm
post #57 of 93

Awww, it looks good. Go, go, go solace, it's your (fiancee's) birthday...

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:20pm
post #58 of 93

Looking good. Remember to roll your fondant thick. So when you put it on you have wiggle room for stretching and tearing

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:30pm
post #59 of 93

I love the shape...awesome work!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:55pm
post #60 of 93

Don't ever add water to fondant unless you want a sticky mess. Water melts sugar!! To loosen and stretch fondant I always slather Crisco on my hands and work it in.
You can make your fondant color lighter just by adding more white fondant in--provided you have some available.

I use the wilton pre-made gum paste all the time and love it. It does dry quickly so if things are drying too fast for you, mix some fondant in with your gum paste to slow it down. Always work with Crisco when rolling out gum paste , or working in the color.

For those things you want to color gold, tint your fondant a very light gold. Then get lemon extract and use it to mix with your gold luster dust and paint on your items. The yellow of the fondant makes your gold dust look less streaky. Extracts or anything with a high volume of alcohol will dry faster and not do damage like water would. I found the lemon extract dries much faster than say vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%