Wilton Piping Gel - Smells Weird?

Decorating By AnnieBeeVee Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 3:31pm by WeezyS

AnnieBeeVee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieBeeVee Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hi!

I am using Wilton Piping Gel for the first time, and when I opened it, (Brand new sealed container I just bought) it has a very strong and weird smell, and it was not clear, but yellowish. Is that normal? I can't find an expiration date on it anywhere... I am just using a very small amount mixed with luster dust to paint on some piped pearls, but I am wondering if it is OK to use. It is also VERY thick, I had to stir it a lot to get it workable, and by then is was no longer clear as I had worked a lot of air into it by stirring... I haven't used piping gel in years, and have never used Wilton brand, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is normal!

Thanks!

6 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like "normal" to me. icon_rolleyes.gif I was surprised at how thick it is, but I just stir up a small amount at a time as I need it. The smell isn't very pleasant, but once it dries there isn't any smell to it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:39am
post #3 of 7

Sounds fine to me, but............I wouldn't use it to paint luster dust onto piped pearls (too sticky & messy).

I suggest mixing the luster dust with a clear drinking alcohol (gin, vodka, Everclear, white rum) or lemon extract. It'll work much better, really.

Rae

AnnieBeeVee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieBeeVee Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 1:48am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Sounds fine to me, but............I wouldn't use it to paint luster dust onto piped pearls (too sticky & messy).

I suggest mixing the luster dust with a clear drinking alcohol (gin, vodka, Everclear, white rum) or lemon extract. It'll work much better, really.

Rae

I have used luster dust with alcohol plenty of times (I usually use lemon extract because it has the highest alcohol content), but this technique was from a book by Mich Turner, so I thought I'd give it a try. I did wonder about the stickiness, but I have also seen piping gel/luster dust mixtures piped on cakes, and so I figured it must dry enough to be OK, and I thought it might make them look slightly glossy/dewey...

It was SO thick though, I could have sworn the last time I used piping gel it was not as thick, but like I said that was years ago. Anyway, I ended up thinning it down with lemon extract, but it looks to me like the surface of the pearls is very slightly pitted. Not enough to be a problem because they still have a lovely gold sheen, but they are not as smooth as they were. I am wondering if actually the lemon oil in the extract might be the problem, because RI and oils don't mix... Or maybe it is just because it takes longer to dry than with alcohol only, and so the moisture "eats" away at it a little. Next time, I'll try going back to just lemon extract and if that is a problem some other kind of alcohol... I must have some vodka somewhere!

Thanks for the info though, I'm not sure if I will use the piping gel again, it smells so gross, I hate to put it on a cake even if it is OK!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBeeVee

I'm not sure if I will use the piping gel again, it smells so gross, I hate to put it on a cake even if it is OK!

Oh, I agree there!

I once refused to do a "stained glass" window cake for a communion because the client wanted me to replicate a cake that was done with piping gel. I straight out told her that it was gross and very messy for serving.

I have to say that piping gel is something that I reach for--maybe--once a year. It just reminds me of the drainage from a sinus infection..............

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

Mine smells - because it always does but it's not as thick as yours is. I am glad you only need a small amount - after that I would toss it and get another one.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 7

You can make your own piping gel, I just used it, it is way better than Wilton's.
There is a recipe on cc in the recipe section. It makes alot, I just cut in in half. But you can store it for a long time.

Just thought I'd mention this for future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%