Grand Piano Sheetcake?

Decorating By deelikesmakingcakes Updated 19 Jul 2012 , 12:06pm by Lynne3

deelikesmakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deelikesmakingcakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 3:29am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone,

BRAND new to the forum and I need help. I'm throwing a large recital for 30+ students in late August. I can't spend $500 on a cake, need to feed around 100 people, and I'd like a piano-shaped cake like the one attached.

First off, do you think this is a good idea? This is an event for clients, their children, etc. I've baked a LOT before, and know how to make a good cake and find fondant to be really easy to work with and make from scratch. I'm nervous about baking something that will be the center of the reception, but we're already spending $700 for the venue, and I am trying to save wherever possible.

I intend to practice a few times before doing the real thing. I want a simple chocolate cake, vanilla cream cheese frosting inside, buttercream on the outside with white fondant and black fondant for decoration.

I just don't know how to go about making this thing? What size pans should I use? How many layers? What chocolate cake recipe and filling recipes would work? Any tips on method?

I was thinking making six thin 9 x 13 layers and placing two stacks of three side by side. I'd then carve it, and roll black fondant over the whole thing.
LL

1 reply
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 2

Are you sure that cake is fondant covered? The only thing that looks like fondant is the keyboard and possibly the panel below the keyboard. IMHO the rest looks like buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%