Using Superfine Sugar - White Velvet Cake

Baking By Dayti Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 2:42pm by VanillaSky

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 11:41am
post #1 of 2

Do you use superfine sugar (caster sugar) when called for in recipes? I want to try Rose LB's White Velvet Cake but am loathe to use superfine sugar since it's so expensive here. I always use regular white granulated sugar in all my recipes, even when they call for caster sugar... I'm just really wondering if you find it makes a notable difference?

Also, does anyone have any opinions on Rose's recipe? I also want to try FromScratchSF's since she gets rave reviews for it, and has done lots of research on her recipe icon_biggrin.gif

I'm needing to do a cake and cupcakes with whatever recipe I try although in my experience so far using the same recipe works fine for both.

1 reply
VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 2

You can get a reasonable approximation of superfine sugar by pulsing granulated sugar in a food processor. I used superfine sugar in my cakes for a while (both purchased and the type i made in a food procesor) but then stopped because there wasn't a noticeable enough difference in the texture of my cakes. I never did a side by side comparison so I am not saying that superfine does not produce better results but for me for now I'm fine with granulated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%