Dark Gray Residue On My New Magic Line Pans

Decorating By KLCCrafts Updated 14 Jul 2012 , 1:47am by ibeeflower

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:12am
post #1 of 5

A few weeks ago I purchased several Magic Line round cake pans. I washed them by hand using Clorox Green Works dishwashing liquid, let them air dry, then stored them nested together inside my cabinet. Tonight when I was going to use them for the first time, while greasing them, I noticed a dark gray, greasy looking residue. It didn't wash out easily and I ended up using Pam spray on the pan (which I also use to remove label adhesive) and then rubbing it with a paper towel until the towel was no longer gray.

Looking online it would appear that this may be the aluminum oxidizing, which apparently can be caused by acids or putting the pans in the dish washer (which I didn't do). What I couldn't find out was a) is this stuff harmful? and b) how do I get rid of it and know it's really all gone, and food safe?

Anyone have this problem with their pans, and how do you care for them to remove the residue and prevent it from forming again?

Thanks!

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

My newest ones had it. I bought them for my niece's wedding and put them on the shelf. I too only gave them a simple wash. It came off in the cake release. I just washed it with Dawn and it came out. I doubt Magic Line would use anything that wasn't food safe.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:16am
post #3 of 5

That happened to me with my pasta rollers when they were new. I just ran paper towels through the rollers and once the towels came out clean, the gray went away, never to return.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:40am
post #4 of 5

That happens to the beaters from my mixer if I put them though the dishwasher, but not if I do them by hand. It must be a reaction between the different types of detergents or something...I just wash them by hand before I need to use them and it's fine.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

When I first purchased my Magic Line's they also had this gray stuff. I had to wash them twice to get the stuff off. I sprayed a little Pam on a towel and rubbed them on the pans to make sure the gray stuff was completely gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%