Easiest Way To Get Smooth Buttercream On Cupcakes?

Baking By GarciaGM Updated 27 Dec 2013 , 8:50pm by deannescakes

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:32am
post #1 of 15

Hi guys, I've gotten accustomed to doing a simple icing swirl on all of my cupcakes, but I need to do a smooth buttercream finish so I can pipe onto cupcakes I'm making. What's the simplest way? Heat the buttercream up a little in the microwave and dip the cupcakes in? It just seems like that only gives a sparse covering of buttercream. What do you guys recommend?

And no, I'm not trying to do poured fondant this time. Thanks!!

14 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:53am
post #2 of 15

Ice them by hand (or gloved hand, if you prefer).

Get a scoop of buttercream in your cupped hand. Pick up the cupcake with the other hand and put the top of it near the "iced" hand. Twist the cupcake one turn while pressing the icing on, and it's done. Two seconds per cupcake, including the time it takes to pick one up and reload your hand!!!!!!

GarciaGM Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 2:08am
post #3 of 15

Wow, it's THAT easy to get a smooth surface on the cupcakes?

I was even thinking of trying the upside-down method, but that seems like an awful lot of work for cupcakes! thumbsdown.gif

MadamePattiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadamePattiKakes Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 2:20am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

Wow, it's THAT easy to get a smooth surface on the cupcakes?

I was even thinking of trying the upside-down method, but that seems like an awful lot of work for cupcakes! thumbsdown.gif

I use a large spatula like used to ice a full cake. Get a good glob on it, scrape it on the side of the cupcake, turn, do it again, turn, do it again...do this until you have 3 good globs that cover the top. Then, just hold your spatula perpendicular to the top of the cupcake, twist, and scrape. I hope this makes sense. It's really the same thing you would do with getting sharp buttercream edges on a full size round cake on a turntable, but your wrist/hand is the 'turntable' in this case. Check out some of my 'flattops' on my website: http://www.cupcakebordello.com/meet-the-girls/

Joni1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joni1962 Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 2:39am
post #5 of 15

Hello, have a pot of boiling water near by. Place your utensil in it & hold a few secs. Dry and lightly smooth across frosting-should work like a charm. Joni

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 10:10am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Ice them by hand (or gloved hand, if you prefer).

Get a scoop of buttercream in your cupped hand. Pick up the cupcake with the other hand and put the top of it near the "iced" hand. Twist the cupcake one turn while pressing the icing on, and it's done. Two seconds per cupcake, including the time it takes to pick one up and reload your hand!!!!!!

Wow! Do you have a photo that shows a cupcake iced with this method? I'd be really interested to see what it looks like.

GarciaGM Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! And yes, like someone else who posted, I'd love to see pictures of cupcakes you've iced! thumbs_up.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 15

I take an ice cream scoop, the same size I have used for dishing out the cupcake batter, and fill with icing. Put it on the cupcake. Tap the cupcake on the work surface so the icing adheres properly. Wait for it to crust. Use a high density foam paint roller (that has never been used for painting!) and gently roll the icing into the shape you want. It's the Melvira method for cupcakes, but only works for a crusting icing. I do this when I am icing cupcakes which will then have fondant tops on.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 15

Would a rolled buttercream work? Roll out the buttercream, cut with a circle cutter, and lay it right on. (I brush the cupcake with a little simple syrup to make sure it sticks well).

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Wow! Do you have a photo that shows a cupcake iced with this method? I'd be really interested to see what it looks like.

No, I never thought to take a photo of a cupcake, but the next time you have one baked--try it. Your icing needs to be smooth and creamy to begin with, and, of course, it won't be perfectly smooth--it'll have a slight swirl mark from the center to the outer edge, yet not "textured" enough to prevent writing on top of it.

Many years ago, I decorated cakes for a nationwide wholesaler, and we iced around 40-60,000 cupcakes per day this way.
24 per tray
48 per case
49 cases per pallet = 2,352
2 (or 3) pallets per hour (depending on the number of icers on the line) = 4,704 - (7,056)
8 hour day = 37,632 - (56,44icon_cool.gif
+ 1 hour overtime = 42,336 - (63,504)

Yes, it's that easy. Do it!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 3:55am
post #11 of 15

I'll definitely have a go next time I'm experimenting with cupcakes - thanks!

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:31am
post #12 of 15

If you're using a crusting buttercream, a high density rolling could be used after letting the frosting crust slightly. It's fast and easy icon_smile.gif.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:47am
post #13 of 15

You could put a non-slip mat on a turn table, and stick the cupcake in the center, and use a tip 1D, and spin the table while squeezing the bag, while holding the tip to the edge of the cupcake. set it aside, then do the next one. Keep it up until you get a few dozen, then go back and pat it with a Viva.

Cpimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cpimm Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:51am
post #14 of 15

AI piped a large dot of buttercream icing onto the centre of the cupcake using the Wilton tip #12, creating a mound of icing. I did this to all 24 cupcakes. Next I cut a square of parchment paper that fit on top of the cupcake with a little overhang. I put the paper on top of the cupcake and gently pressed down while smoothing the icing out to the edges, repeating for all cupcakes. I let this crust a little, maybe 15-20 minutes and then I repeated the smoothing process with a fresh piece of parchment paper. This time only gently smoothing all over to get rid of any ridge. I am basically a self taught 'icer' with only the basic Wilton course under my belt and this method was very easy! I'm a quicker the better kind of decorator! Hope this helps - I looked for a while and came up with this idea on my own.

deannescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deannescakes Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpimm 

I piped a large dot of buttercream icing onto the centre of the cupcake using the Wilton tip #12, creating a mound of icing. I did this to all 24 cupcakes. Next I cut a square of parchment paper that fit on top of the cupcake with a little overhang. I put the paper on top of the cupcake and gently pressed down while smoothing the icing out to the edges, repeating for all cupcakes. I let this crust a little, maybe 15-20 minutes and then I repeated the smoothing process with a fresh piece of parchment paper. This time only gently smoothing all over to get rid of any ridge. I am basically a self taught 'icer' with only the basic Wilton course under my belt and this method was very easy! I'm a quicker the better kind of decorator! Hope this helps - I looked for a while and came up with this idea on my own.

This is similar to what I do. Works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%