Cups Of Batter For 9In Pan?

Decorating By cakeballer85 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm by cakeballer85

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all...completely new here and I'm trying to figure out how many cups of batter do you put in your 9in X 2in circular pans? I saw the Wilton chart that says 5 1/2 cups and I thought that looked a bit too much.

If you use dark pans do you bake at 325F or 350F and for how long?

I'm just trying to find a nice balance because I have been experimenting with different amounts versus temperature versus time and I haven't quite found a way yet that I like...sorry if this doesn't make any sense icon_eek.gif

3 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 4

be aware that your results will also vary depending on your cake recipe. i think the Wilton charts are a very good guide for box cake mixes.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 4

If you really need to use dark pans, then you bake at 325F for the first 15 minutes and 300F for the rest of the time--which depends on the size of pans and amount of batter.

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your responses! I'm still tweaking some things...I pulled out a ruler and realized my pans for starters are not a true 2in deep...which means that I have been over filling my pans.

The pans are not as dark as some pans that I have...so hopefully my next two test cakes which are currently baking will come out a bit better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%