Transporting A Wired Spray - On Or Off Cake?

Decorating By dalesponyrider Updated 12 Jul 2012 , 4:57pm by TPa5708415

dalesponyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalesponyrider Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 8:25am
post #1 of 5

I have made a fondant covered two tiered wedding cake. I have also made two quite large wired sprays of gumpaste roses. The sprays are quite fragile and I have no idea how to transport them! I have got boxes and memory foam to line the back of my car so not worried about the cakes themselves. Should I put the rose sprays into the flower picks on the cakes or try and put them in boxes? If they go on the cake I am worried about vibration. If I pack them in boxes I am worried the weight will crush the petals.

I would be very grateful for some help on this issue!

4 replies
dalesponyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalesponyrider Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 9:23am
post #2 of 5

I know this might be a bit of a tall order, I've left it far too late really to ask this question and I'd really appreciate an answer in the next few hours! I am in the uk, it's 10.25am and I am transporting this cake tomorrow morning! I was so intent on the icing and the flowers, I didn't even think about transport! How silly is that? I will try and post a photo so you can see what I am talking about. (As long as you are gentle with me as I am a complete beginner! This is not a paid for cake, it is for my son!)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 9:53am
post #3 of 5

I would put them on the cake now. Ensure you use plenty of royal icing inside your flower picks to glue the sprays into place, and they will dry in time for tomorrow.

Alana7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alana7 Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

I would advice you to put the flowers in AT THE SITE.
If you are afraid the flowers are so heavy that it might crush the petals, chances are that they might rip your cake while in transit. Stick them in a dummy cake or styrofoam and transport it in a box. If the weight crushes a few petals, they can always be hidden with a few strategically placed leaves or filler flowers when you assemble. If the flower pick rips up the cake, you'll have a bigger repair job than you would care for. Good luck with the cake.

TPa5708415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPa5708415 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

I would domitian at the site. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%