Cake Base

Decorating By jelacop Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 7:14pm by SquirrellyCakes

jelacop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelacop Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:55am
post #1 of 7

I have seen what looks like a brown, satin material puff as a base especially popular for the ganache and chocolate cakes in the cake gallary. It looks very elegant and gives a finishing touch. I am doing a bridal shower cake in two weeks. How do I achieve this look? My email is [email protected] Thanks icon_confused.gif

6 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 11:51am
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure but I'll bump this back to the top and maybe someone can answer your question that's done this before icon_smile.gif

mabeljane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabeljane Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 7

Hi. There is a post under the "How Do I" section entitled "Puff Base Instructions". I believe it is SquirellyCakes who wrote a How To" on this topic and provides a link to the instructions which are on another site. Hope this helps.

godsgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
godsgrace Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 7

They can also be ordered through . I have not ordered them but have always wanted to. Its beautiful.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, I have posted them on
Go to the Message Board, under Techiques you will see "Making a Gathered Cake Base Stand"
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

godsgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
godsgrace Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 7

Squirrelly, I read your instructions, sounds pretty simple. Although I could probably mess it up!! lol Questions is if I dont want a 4" base using a dummy what suggestions would you have to use for a smaller one. Say 2" base. I would like to try one for a heart shaped grooms cake for this weekend! Yes, this weekend, i'm a procrastanator!!!! Opps don't think I can even spell it!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 7

Yes there are a whole lot of other options.
You can just follow the same method, but use it to cover the cakeboards or plywood circle on its own without the foam. Several layers will give you a similar effect. Or you can use quilting or craft batting and pad the top surface extending to the back and you will get a softer edge, I do this too. Or you can use a styrofoam wreath ring form, these are usually about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep with a hole in the centre, just make sure the cake will sit on a board on top to the ring, this will be very secure. The rings come in various sizes. Or you can purchase styrofoam insulation sheets from a Home Depot type store and cut it with an electric knife or coping saw or serrated edged knife. The insulation is about 2 inches thick and usually sold in sheets of 4x8 foot. You can use a dense foam cushion form but you need to make sure it is really a firm one.
You can really go with just the ruffle glue-gunned to your board or base and then just cover the board that the cake will sit on, you don't have to make the circle or square for the inside to attach the ruffle to, so that saves a bit of time.
Heehee, you can even cheat and purchase lace trims that are already gathered, they sell them in fairly wide widths and they can simply be glue gunned onto the board.
A zillion ways to do this!
Hope that helps.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes
P.S. I usually bevel the edges of the styrofoam dummies or insulation at the edges like you would normally to cover with fondant, although I didn't in the tutorial.

Quote by @%username% on %date%