Fondant/sugarpaste Help

Decorating By maggie1965 Updated 27 Jun 2012 , 9:53pm by jacques

maggie1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1965 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 10

i was just wondering how long is best to cover a cake in fondant before it is needed, i am doing a 3 tier wedding cake for july 21st and the brides mum asked me last night if it was finished, if i decorate it now would it be ok on the day xx

9 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 10

Wow... July 21st... And they want it now? I'm quite certain it'll be moldy by the time the event gets here! I'm sure you'll get many differing answers but I bake on day 1, decorate on day 2, and deliver and stack on day 3.

FrostThis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostThis Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 10

First of all, the cake would be inedible if it was finished already. The fondant does help in keeping the cake covered and keeping it from getting stale, but there is a certain point were the fondant will start to get hard and take the moisture. I would say only about 3-4 days before.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 10

Did they order fruitcake? That should be baked 6-10 weeks ahead.

Otherwise bake no more than 3 days ahead if possible.

But welcome to the world of brides mums who panic all the way to the "I do's"

CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 10

One month ahead! Gross! What is the Mother thinking!? All I have read is a cake covered in fondant is good for 3 or 4 days ahead of date needed. Remember though if you are doing any decorations in fondant that need to harden, you need to do those ahead and let air dry.

jacques Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacques Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 10

I presume the mother of the bride thinks the wedding cake will have the same shelf life as shop bought cakes (which is so wrong). I work on a seven day shelf life ie bake Thursday, decorate Friday for the wedding on Saturday.

maggie1965 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks all, it is a fruit cake, and i thought the fondant would be awful if i did it now xx

jacques Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1965

Thanks all, it is a fruit cake, and i thought the fondant would be awful if i did it now xx

If I am working on an all fruitcake wedding cake, then I would normally start decorating the cakes 4 weeks before the wedding with the aim to have it fully complete one week before the wedding.

I so wish fruitcakes would come back in to fashion - less stress and no late nights

maggie1965 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1965

If I am working on an all fruitcake wedding cake, then I would normally start decorating the cakes 4 weeks before the wedding with the aim to have it fully complete one week before the wedding.

I so wish fruitcakes would come back in to fashion - less stress and no late nights

thanks Jaques i wasnt sure if the fondant would keep xx

jacques Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 10

fondant only skins over ie is always soft to the bit.

The shelf life of factory produced fondant in the UK is 12 months

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%