Hello

Baking By Chubsiesmum81 Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 4:46am by amsegu

Chubsiesmum81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chubsiesmum81 Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, i found this uk thread a few weeks ago and am still trying to get through it (page 101 at the moment) but i thought i would introduce myself and ask a question before i get back to reading and meeting everyone lol.

I have only discovered how enjoyable cake decorating is about a year or so ago. at the moment i have only made cakes for family and one for my daughters school (jubilee cake in my gallery) and now i have been asked to make a cake as a raffle prize for the school summer fete, but i am really struggling to come up with ideas of how to decorate it, it is for 30th june so not too long away. I want something to show off but i really dont know what to do, any ideas are very welcome.
tia laura

4 replies
amsegu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amsegu Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 5

How about something like this? It's summery so it would go perfectly theme wise and it easy to make (this is the pic of one of the first cakes I ever made) The basketweave is buttercream, the top of the basket is fondant colored the same color of the buttercream then rolled into a long log, folded in half and twisted to make a rope. You don't need to dip the stawberries in chocolate, but if you do decide to do so, then make sure you dry the strawberries thoroughly to ensure that your chocolate doesn't seeze when dipping.

Ever since I made this cake for the first time, it has been my most requested cake. Something that I do do differently from the first one I made is to leave the green part on the stawberries because you have to remove the strawberries from the cake before cutting anyways and having the berries whole gives it a better more sumerry look. If you want to get really fancy you can dip the strawberries in while, dark and mild chocolate.

Chubsiesmum81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chubsiesmum81 Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

wow that is georgeous, i have tried basket weave with buttercream and i started to get the hang of it, dont know how good i would be at putting it on the side of a cake, was it hard? and with the fondant and buttercream together on a cake do you have to keep them seperate?

tibrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibrado Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 5

for a school, what about a rainbow cake decorated to look like a giant crayon box?

amsegu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amsegu Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 4:46am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubsiesmum81

wow that is georgeous, i have tried basket weave with buttercream and i started to get the hang of it, dont know how good i would be at putting it on the side of a cake, was it hard? and with the fondant and buttercream together on a cake do you have to keep them seperate?

There are couple of different ways to do basket weave but I have found this way to be the most successful as well as the easiest. The drawing looks like there are two vertical lines each time but it's just the "brush" I used in photoshop.

Obviously using a basketweave tip (beleive it's number 47 tip) do a verticle line from the top the the bottom. Then using the same tip do as many horizontal lines as will fit on the side of the cake but they must be spaced the same width apart as the tip you are using. ( as for how long the horizontal lines should be is up to you but I usually make them about 1" long). Do another vertical line where your horizontal lines end. Then do another set of horizontal lines starting at the previous vertical line and overlapping your current vertical line. Repeat....and repeat....and repeat! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%