Fruit Cake As Top Tier?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 9:46pm by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 4

I met with a bride and groom recently and they want the top tier of their 3 tier wedding cake as fruit cake with marzipan. Middle tier - WASC and bottom tier Chocolate. Has anyone every successfully put a fruit cake as the wedding cake top tier? Cake sizes - 8",10" & 12". I am concerned about the weight of a fruit cake on top of these cakes. Any challenges you encountered doing this?

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 4

My own wedding cake had a fruit cake for a top tier, lemon for the next, and chocolate for the bottom. There's no reason you can't do this. It's not the lower tiers of cake that supportthe tiers above, but the support system you use.

Use a good support sysgtem and you should be fine.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 4

I would like to suggest (if possible) that you bake the fruitcake 7" diameter and 2.5"-3" deep. Because you will be adding two layers to it, marzipan and fondant. It will look "right" as the top tier.

Underneath, you need to use a generous number of dowels/straws for support. That plus a rigid cake board under the top tier will spread the weight around properly.

I have tiered three fruitcakes one on top of the other and they were 8-10-12" squares baked 3" deep. No problems.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this. I feel better now knowing this has been done successfully before icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%