It Cannot Be This Hard!

Baking By AshleyDowns Updated 20 Jul 2012 , 8:09am by Shanghai

AshleyDowns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyDowns Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:31am
post #1 of 15

It cannot be this hard to make buttercream frosting. I have tried two different buttercream recipes and both have been a fail! The first one was too sweet and gritty. The one I tried last night which was called american buttercream, was too runny....and I only used two tablespoons of whipping cream....which the recipe called for. Ok...I am just venting....... icon_sad.gif

14 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:49am
post #2 of 15

If its too runny just add more powdered sugar

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:05am
post #3 of 15

When it comes to adding the cream/milk after creaming your sugar and butter only use the recipe as a very vague guide. Add the cream a little at the time and just watch the texture of the icing. Different temperatures and humidities impact on icing as can the type of butter/shortening you use. Buttercream certainly isn't like making a cake and you don't need to be strict with the recipe.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 15

Use pure cane powdered sugar. That will help with the grittiness.

AshleyDowns Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 15

I tried to add more powder sugar and that made the icing too sweet....and I was adding like a 1/4 cup at a time. icon_surprised.gif( I am going to try again tonight.....I will not give up that is for sure. Except tonight I will only add maybe a teaspoon of cream vs a tablespoon. I was thinking maybe a tablespoon was too much.

Thanks to all....

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 15

Not sure what type of mixer you are using, but I cream my butter & shortening together with the flavoring and then add my icing sugar slowly. When all ingredients are well blended in, whipping cream too, I put my KA stand mixer on medium speed and just let it run for 10 minutes. That stops the grittiness because the the sugar has time to dissolve and the whipping cream stiffens up. When the weather is warm or humid I put the icing in the fridge for a bit after to stiffen up the butter or it can get runny.

Good Luck don't give up, you'll get it with practice.

AshleyDowns Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 15

I use a KA mixer with the whisk attachment. I ran it for a while last night, and then put it in the fridge for a while. The taste was AWESOME it was just too runny.....I put it back in the fridge and left it there...was still in there. Was still there this morning....LOL! Will check it this evening and see if it got more stiff. I have time to play with different recipes. I just have the tendency to get frustrated easily.....especially with something that doesn't seem hard to make. icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 15

Ashley - I would suggest using this method/recipe (sugarshack's):

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio shortening and add 1t salt (cuts the sweetness) with the liquids while creaming the fats - this buttercream is a dream to work with.

Good luck!!

kimmcannally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmcannally Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 15

When my buttercream is too sweet, I make a small container of salt water and add some to the buttercream a tsp at a time until it tastes better. icon_biggrin.gif

JACrellin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JACrellin Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 15

Here is my recipe and it comes out perfect each time. I use only name brand powered sugar not the western family or any generic kind, it tends to be way gritty.

1.5 sticks of salted sweet cream butter
4 cups powdered sugar ( roughly)
1/3 cup canned milk or regular milk (canned is just easier to have on hand and i feel make better frosting)
2 tsp vanilla or whatever flavoring

In your mixer beat the butter until nice and smooth, do not scrape the edges. turn mixer off. add powdered sugar, milk and flavoring. Turn mixer onto stir or low and let everything incorporate. then turn the mixer to a higher speed. Scrape the edges and mix more. Add more powdered sugar if needed. or milk if needed. Hope this works as well as it works for me! icon_smile.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Ashley - I would suggest using this method/recipe (sugarshack's):

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio shortening and add 1t salt (cuts the sweetness) with the liquids while creaming the fats - this buttercream is a dream to work with.

Good luck!!

I use this recipe too and add salt to cut down on the sweetness. I don't use butter with my hi-ratio but I wish I did. But it's about 100 degrees here right now so I am afraid. Anyway, keep experimenting. I had the same trouble as you for the LONGEST time. Every time my frosting was too sweet, too greasy, soft, gritty, runny, etc. But I just played with different combinations to see what went wrong.

P.S. One time I use lard! By accident of course. I also didn't serve it to anyone. But I did waste a bunch of ingredients. You live and learn. Eventually you'll get it. icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:26am
post #12 of 15

I've also noticed in additional to salt, a little citrus like lemon or lime helps to cut the sweetness.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 6:36am
post #13 of 15

I would also recommend using the paddle attachment instead of the wisk.

RainbowSprinkles247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RainbowSprinkles247 Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 15

Try gourmetcake's recipe for Crusting Chocolate Fudge Buttercream. The Fudge recipe is absolutely AMAZING, and to create a vanilla buttercream just omit the cocoa powder. It is such a simple recipe and the results are fantastic. And for for someone like me who is usually opposed to a buttercream made with Crisco (this one is half Crisco, half butter), that is saying a lot!!!!

Shanghai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanghai Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 8:09am
post #15 of 15

I have this basic buttercream recipe that I use all the time and so far it works perfectly for me....pls do try it and let me know about the the outcome...

Ingredients

3 large egg whites ( room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces at room temperature

MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS

*****Procedure*****

In a large clean heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites and sugar. Set the bowl over ( but not touching) simmering water in a sauce pan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly with a wire whisk, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch ( about 160F on an instant-read thermometer) about 2 mins. Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Using an electtric hand mixer on high speed, beat the egg white mixture until it is fluffy, cooled to room temperature, and holds stiff peaks (the mixture should not look too dry) about 6 minutes.

With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the salt and the butter, a few pieces at a time beating well after each addition continue doing this until all of the butter has been added. If the frosting appears to separate or is very liquids after all the butter is added, continue to beat on high speed until it is smooth and creamy 3 to 5 mins more... Buttercream can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator in air tight container bring to room temperature before using....

Please let me know of the outcome thanks...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%