Drivert Sugar - Dry Fondant Mix

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 2:44am by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 12:08am
post #1 of 5

Ok I found a recipe here on CC that calls for Drivert Sugar which is a type of powdered sugar with invert sugar and no cornstarch. My google search for this product came up with a lot of bee keeping information and a few hits for a 50lb bag of it. But then as I was reading a few of the sites implied that the dry fondant mix you can buy at places like CK is really just drivert sugar.

1) Anyone familiar with divert sugar?
2) Does anyone have the Dry Fondant mix handy and can post the ingredient list?

I would love to try it because this recipe sounds intriguing but I can not find a small bag of drivert sugar.

If anyone is interested in seeing the recipe it's here


4 replies
kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:04am
post #2 of 5

I have a very old bag of it that I have not opened yet. It states that it contains Cane Fondant Sugar. It is used to make cream centers.

I found an article on the internet that describe Drivert Sugar as Pure Cane Sugar that contains approximately 8% invert sugar..

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:07am
post #3 of 5

Kim, Thanks so much. So that begs the question what is fondant sugar?icon_smile.gif Maybe eventually I can find a smaller bag to try.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:42am
post #4 of 5

Fondant sugar is one of two things:

Either: very fine pure sugar (sucrose) without the 3% cornstarch in 10X/confectioners sugar,

OR else it is a powdered mixture of 90% sucrose and 10% dextrose that turns into fondant when water is added. This comes from research into taking pure sucrose and cooking it into fondant and then doing the chemical analysis to see what percentage of sugar was inverted.

Either way it will make fabulous buttercream as well as fondant.

Google online for "powdered fondant" or "drifond" and you will find online retailers that sell 1-lb packages.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:44am
post #5 of 5

Baking Irene, thank you so much. I am excited to try this. Looks like another frosting taste test for friends and family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%