Cupcake Cakes ?'s

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 4:43pm by bubblezmom

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:59am
post #1 of 12

Just did my first cupcake cake...liked it except the icing kept sinking where the cupcakes didn't meet. I had them as close as I could get....had to squish them together to get them to fit in the board. What do you do to keep this from happening?? Do you put something in the holes??

Thanks,
Christine

11 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:14am
post #2 of 12

Sounds like the icing was too thin to me. Also, do you use the icing tip to place your icing on top?

Debbi

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:18am
post #3 of 12

I use the foil liners (no cc pan) and arrange them to whatever shape you want on a sheet pan.... bake them so the tops bake together..then when I take them out of oven I put a board or something on top to make the whole top flat ...when they are done cooling I pull or cut them apart ..put them back together and ice the top..I never have problems with holes.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:30am
post #4 of 12

I love cupcake cakes!! Does anyone know where I can get a book with different designs in it? I saw one at the Wal-Mart bakery but of course it belongs to them, they don't sell the books just the cakes.

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:32am
post #5 of 12

Didn't I see a website with the directions on how to do cupcake cakes posted somewhere? I was just thinking about these today and I'm ready to try it but I don't know where to start.... Anyone remember the site?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 2:58am
post #6 of 12

There are links to the directions (Dawn's) and a book of designs (Brenda's) here...

http://cakefun.blogspot.com/2005/06/have-your-cake-and-your-cupcake-too.html

NottawaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NottawaChelle Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:21am
post #7 of 12

Tinascakes,
For some cute ccc ideas check out www.brenscakes.com/cupcakecakes.html

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:43am
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much. I'll check it out.

NottawaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NottawaChelle Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:51am
post #9 of 12

Here are some more ccc's for ideas.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kathygal/web_cupcakecakes.html

I love this lady's colours and crisp designs!

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Lisa, that's the site.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 12

When I did mine, I didn't have this problem & I didn't bake them all together, side by side or anything. And it was the first one I'd ever done, had never even heard of a cupcake cake, so I was winging it.

I just baked them in muffin tins with liners, as usual...then placed them on the board - I put a dollop of icing on the bottom of each one so they wouldn't slide around and pushed them as close together as I could get them. Then I took some of the icing, before I colored it, and piped it between them wherever there were empty spaces. When I iced the top of it I just really put it on thick...then just got it level and put on a border & decorated the top. It's the only one in my photos that I've uploaded, so take a look. I just did a simple rectangle because it was 50 cupcakes, didn't have the room on the board to play around with a shape.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 12

How do you get the cupcakes apart without having a giant mess? The pics are cute, but it looks like there would be a lot of extra frosting when the cupcakes are separated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%