Gold Color On Fondant

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 12 Jun 2012 , 4:08pm by WeezyS

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

I am making a Golden Anniversary cake an was wondering what would be the best way to color white fondant hearts gold? Would you use petal dust, or lustre dust. Or is there a diffrent way.
Thanks.

4 replies
susieq01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq01 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 5:29am
post #2 of 5

Ok, I am fairly new to this and could be completely wrong. I believe petal dust is used on a lot of fondant or gum paste flower with some what of a flat color. Luster dust has more a a shiny look. I took a purse class and I believe it was luster dust mixed with Ever Clear and painted with the mixture. It did make a pretty gold color. Hope this helps.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 5

First, the white fondant needs to be colored gold, too. To achieve this use yellow, a tiny bit of red and a tiny bit of black. Then, after you have made the hearts use gold luster dust and either lemon extract, vodka, or Everclear to create a paint-like consistency and paint the hearts gold. It might take a couple of coats but will be very shiny and gold when you are done. If you use the luster dust directly on white fondant you will not get the same depth of gold plus any tiny spot you might miss with the luster dust will not show as much on the finished cake. HTH

susieq01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq01 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, heartsnsync for the new info. It is so great to be able to learn from others.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You everyone for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%