Need Help With Gumpaste And Gumpaste Flowers Please

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 11 Jun 2012 , 3:58am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 9:21am
post #1 of 5

I made two batches of Nicholas Lodge gumpaste and it is to soft. Is there a way to fix the gumpaste? I would hate to through it out. It's ok for tiny flowers but to soft for large petals like lilies, roses and leaves. When making a gumpaste stargazer lily is it best to dust the flowers once assembled or dust each petal before putting them together? Thank you.

4 replies
spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

You might want to knead a little more tylose powder in. Be careful not to add too much. I would start with a half teaspoon, knead it in, let it rest, check the consistency, then add more if need be.

As for dusting the lily, personally I like to dust after I put the flower together. That way I see the flower as a whole. I think it's just a matter of what works best for you...no right or wrong way.

Minette

sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much spring I will try adding a little Tylose.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 5

For the most past I agree w/what spring said ^^^.
Before adding more Tylose, have you tried adding a bit more sugar? OR has it sat say overnight? Many times it will 'harden' up after resting.

sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

Yes it has been refrigerated for a week now. I tried to use it last night but it was to soft. I will try adding more powdered sugar and Tylose. I went to Michaels and bought some premade Wilton gumpaste so I could get some of my lily petals done tonight. I have to make 150 petals and I noticed the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste is not a pure white. I was hoping to salvage the gumpaste to use for ivy and rose leaves. Thank you so much for responding I will try both of your ideas and see if I can salvage the gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%