Dairy Free Cake

Baking By coleslawcat Updated 10 Jun 2012 , 7:24am by scp1127

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:58am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a dairy free cake for my niece. I'm used to modifying recipes to make them gluten free so I'm sure I can figure this out, but what is the best substitute for butter? I made a dairy free cake before and used oil and it was fine, but I was wondering if shortening or those dairy free Earth's Balance sticks might be a better substitute. The last dairy free cake I made had to be soy free as well which is why I went with canola oil.

Also, anyone happen to know if butter flavor is dairy free? I was thinking of adding some if I went with the shortening, but not unless I'm sure it's safe. I"ll call the manufacturer on that one if no one knows, but it's Wilton brand.

4 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 5

You can substitute Crisco All Vegetable Shortening in place of butter in cake recipes. I do it all the time without any trouble. The Earth Balance butter substitute has a strong flavor and may change the flavor and texture of the cake. I would use the shortening, it doesn't change the flavor. Also the Wilton Brand of Artificial Butter Flavor is dairy free.

Have fun and happy baking.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I'll use the shortening and butter flavoring. Too bad I can't make my regular buttercream. At least it's easy to sub in shortening in that too.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

We use both shortening (Sweetex Z) and margarine (Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks) for our dairy-free frosting, customers can't tell that it's dairy-free.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 7:24am
post #5 of 5

Same as Jason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%