Beginner Baker Has A Few Questions...

Decorating By DiddleMeSweet Updated 4 Jun 2012 , 6:05pm by DiddleMeSweet

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:51am
post #1 of 4

I am a beginner baker and I'm seriously interested in the Oriental, Austrailian, Nirvana, and Lambeth Methods. So I googled online I can't afford the Lambeth Method book by Joseph Lambeth. I did get a good deal on the book called "The Art of Royal Icing" by Eddie Spence MBE. Would you recommend this book?

I am curious has anyone taken all of the Wilton classes? Or their Master Classes? I am also considering taking a class or two with David MacCarfrae (I think I spelled his name correctly), has anyone taking any classes w/ him? If so, would you recommend his classes?

Eagerly awaiting responses...thank you for reading.

icon_smile.gif

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:24am
post #2 of 4

I do not consider myself a decorator even though I can handle the basics.

I took all of the Wilton courses. Learning basic method opens you up to finding new ways and making your own style. I was amazed how easy the basics actually were. And everyone got it. So all levels of talent can still be successful.

After that, I watched youtube and bought some videos. I have sugarshack's, Jennifer Dontz's, and Edna's.

So I say yes to the Wilton classes, but just don't stop there.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 4

The Eddie Spence book is excellent and amazon gives a great deal.

Keep your eyes peeled for the Lambeth book. Every edition with 360 pages is exactly the same. I had to replace the 1980 reprinted version after somebody borrowed it from me and then donated it to somebody else...being careful with auctions got me one at a good price.

The Nirvana books are available for reasonable prices on secondhand bookseller websites like abebooks. Use the search term "nirvana" in "author" and "cake" in "title"you should see listings for all four books that he published. They have B&W photos but you can learn a lot.

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the responses and thank you BakingIrene for the Nirvana tip too. I will definantly search for that book, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%