Guitar Strings?

Decorating By cakemomma13 Updated 28 May 2012 , 6:03pm by Jeep_girl816

cakemomma13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomma13 Posted 28 May 2012 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a fender strat guitar for my father in law's 60th birthday. I am wondering what people would suggest to make my guitar strings out of. I want it to look as real as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I used my clay extruder and made them out a a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mix then painted them with silver luster dust and vodka. I am not the level of talent of most of the folks on here but figured I would share, someone else may have much better ideas. Good luck.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2284566/guitar-cake

Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

I have made two guitars. The first time I used wire which looked realistic but is a bit of a pain when it is time to cut the cake. The second time I just extruded the fondant and I think it looks good... just try to keep the lines as straight as possible. Here is a link to my Fender guitar:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2118269/bass-guitar-cake

vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 5

I made one for my nephews 2nd BD. I used the wilton guitar pan. I used uncooked spag sprayed with edible silver paint. Guess you would nd to find really long spag if you are doing a true to scale model

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 May 2012 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 5

When I made my guitar I looked or black licorice stings but sadly NOWHERE in my area carried them, and I didn't have time to order. I wasn't working with fondant yet so I just piped mine(poorly I might add, lol) If I was to do another, and still couldn't get the licorice, I'd use an extruder and 50/50 fondant gumaste mix and do them that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%