Help With Cheeseburger Cake Please

Decorating By Ellie1985 Updated 25 May 2012 , 10:37pm by Ellie1985

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 25 May 2012 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cheeseburger cake for my grandson's birthday tomorrow. How do I get a nice golden BUN color??? It will be in buttercream not fondant. Thanks everyone for your help!

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 May 2012 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 9

I'd airbrush yellow first, then a little brown over it.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 25 May 2012 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 9

I would mix my air brush colors together, starting out with several drops of yellow, add a small drop of red, and another drop of brown, mix together, spray a little on the smear of frosting on wax paper or something, you should be able to tell what if any color you have to add. I have been able to get a very realistic looking bun color this way. It sometimes takes a bit of experimenting to get just the right color.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 25 May 2012 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 9

I would mix my air brush colors together, starting out with several drops of yellow, add a small drop of red, and another drop of brown, mix together, spray a little on the smear of frosting on wax paper or something, you should be able to tell what if any color you have to add. I have been able to get a very realistic looking bun color this way. It sometimes takes a bit of experimenting to get just the right color.

Ellie1985 Posted 25 May 2012 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your replies but I'm just a Grandma baking for my family. I don't have an airbrush. I'll start with a golden yellow base and then add a little brown and red and see how that looks. Thanks again.

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 25 May 2012 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 9

if you don't have an airbrush you could try the wilton spray that comes in aerosol cans in many colors.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 25 May 2012 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 9

I also like the spray colors idea after you tint the buttercream for the starter color. You can also use a small paintbrush to brush on some color (gel color plus a little vodka - the alcohol evaporates so don't worry that its for a kid cake!!) I used this idea for my Thanksgiving turkey - although I should have gone lighter!!

When I made mini cheeseburgers ( in my gallery in a couple of photos) I made yellow cake cupcakes and left them un-iced. Just an idea! Good luck I'm sure your grandson will love the result!!

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 25 May 2012 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 9

I've done two cheeseburger cakes for my families. One in fondant and the other in a rolled buttercream. I don't have an airbrush either. I don't remember the exact amounts, but I mixed copper, yellow, and maybe light brown to get a color I liked. For seeds, I just put butterscotch chips on it. Just play with it till you get the color your looking for.

Ellie1985 Posted 25 May 2012 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!! The cake done. Not totally happy with the color of the bun but it's OK. I would have rather done it in fondant. I think it gives you a cleaner look and so much easier to handle. But so many don't like fondant so I wanted to do it in buttercream. Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%