Whipped-Cream-Like Frosting That's Actually Stable??

Decorating By rubiarubia Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 7:29pm by eimiee1978

rubiarubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubiarubia Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I got a kinda last minute order for a small wedding cake for this upcoming weekend. She ordered from my cake menu (I mostly do celebration cakes, usually 1-tier), and she ordered a coconut cake that I usually make with coconut whipped cream as the frosting. Of course, I normally stabilize the whipped cream with gelatin, but that really only works when the cake is one tier and going to sit out for no more than an hour. For a wedding cake, I'm just imagining it melting into a bit soupy mess.

So, I need an alternative. Something that will be whipped-cream-like, but that will hold up as a filling and frosting for several hours (it will be indoors, but it's in a museum, so maybe a little warmer). I read something about a whipped cream frosting that was stabilized with some cream cheese... does anyone know about that? Or have any other suggestions?? The bride's mother said something cream cheesey would be okay...

Thanks!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 7

There are many brands of non-dairy whipped cream products.

Rich's Bettercream is one, I think Presto still makes one, Dawn, Brill, whatever Sam's Club carries, and some Dairy Queens will sell quarts or gallons of the brand they use (unwhipped liquid in vanilla or chocolate).

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:19am
post #3 of 7

I use 1 tbsp vanilla instant pudding powder to 2 cups of whipping cream plus vanilla and sugar if you want it sweet. It holds up wonderful and can be piped.

rubiarubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubiarubia Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:49am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies!

@CWR41: I'm a little hesitant to use those products.. I make everything from scratch and like to stick to ingredients that are as un-pre-made as possible. (I hope that makes sense). I absolutely don't have anything against bakers who DO use those, I just don't think they're quite right for my business icon_smile.gif

@Ballymena: Hmmm, interesting! Never heard of that, but I like the fact that it can be piped. And it holds up well at room temp? I think that might be just the "cheat" I'm looking for... really close to the real thing. Does instant pudding mix have some sort of stabilizer in it other than gelatin? I guess I always just assumed it was mostly gelatin.

Thanks! Any more ideas are very much welcomed, too!

Also: I just found out that coconut milk can actually be whipped: http://www.instructables.com/id/Coconut-Whipped-Cream/ WHAT?!?! Has anyone tried this? I am going for coconut whipped cream, after all any chance this would be stable enough, or stable enough with just some gelatin?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:00am
post #5 of 7

Frostin Pride.

LauraBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraBB Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:18am
post #6 of 7

I suggest whipped meringue like frosting. Nigella Lawson has it for her 'Autumn Cake' in 'How to be a domestic Goddess'.
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/autumnal-birthday-cake-157

FOR THE ICING:
2 large egg whites
125ml maple syrup
125g golden caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon maple extract, optional
125g pecans

3.Put everything except the pecans and extracts into a glass or metal bowl that fits over a saucepan to form a double boiler. Fill the saucepan with enough water to come just below - but not touching - the bowl when it sits on top. Bring the water to the boil, set the bowl on top and, using an electric hand-held whisk, beat the mixture vigorously for 5-7 minutes. It should stand up in peaks like a meringue mixture. Take the bowl off the saucepan, away from the heat, and add the extracts, beating them in for another minute.

Let us know how you go ...

eimiee1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eimiee1978 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 7

Ballymena: can this be colored?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%