Anyone Used Kool-Aid (Powdered) To Flavor Buttercream??

Decorating By Formynana Updated 20 May 2012 , 1:58pm by lilbitacake

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 18 May 2012 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 11

I was thinking of trying Kool-Aid since they keep coming out with new flavors and I was wondering if anyone has ever added it powdered from the envelopes to flavor buttercream frosting? With all the ps in the frosting I thought it would sweeten enough and work well, especially since kids love it and the flavors would probably be a hit on cupcakes ! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
pettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettycakes Posted 18 May 2012 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 11

I agree the flavors would be a hit with the kids. I just wonder if it would leave a gritty feeling in the buttercream.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 11

maybe dissolve it in the liquid you are using for the buttercream first?

shawna29xx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawna29xx Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 11

i've used smucker's strawberry lemonaid mix to flavor my buttercream in the summer. I sift it with my powder sugar and then let it sit for a day. but in a hurry i would make a thick syrup and flavor it. but care to add it slowly and taste until you get the flavor you like. hope this helps.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

maybe dissolve it in the liquid you are using for the buttercream first?

This is what I was thinking too.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 11

What flavors are you considering? Duncan hines has those new frosting creation packets that you could also buy and add to your buttercream recipe.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 11

I love the new Duncan Hines flavor packets....I add to my own BC and they add great flavor....added the Strawberry Creme to some Fresh Strawberry BC I was making a couple weeks ago and it added a nice boost of flavor...cake was for a benefit and it got rave reviews

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 19 May 2012 , 7:33am
post #8 of 11

All I do is just add the Kool-Aid to my icing as I am making it. You already have the water and it doesn't leave a gritty taste. I use Kool-Aid most of the time, but never on wedding cakes except when you need to make a dark color. You don't have the after taste with just all that gel color. I also marble it into my cake mixes for the kids and kids at heart. They love my so call Kool-Aid cake at work and ask when I'm going to make another one. Lemon lime, grape, and lemon is very tart so don't add that much. I have have even mixed 3 to 4 different flavors in the cake mixes and boy just watch the faces, but they love them. If you have many more questions just ask me.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 19 May 2012 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for all of the ideas. Thanks thumbs_up.gif to lilbitacake for the ideas to add multi flavors I'll give it a try this weekend since the grandkids are coming over !

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 11

I have used dry KoolAid for *years* in my icingsicon_smile.gif Not only does it color but it also flavors icings nicely.
I add it when I want red mostly - using black cherry KoolAid.

Just add it - probably not more than a teaspoon per cup of icing - mixed into the sugar. No need to mix w/liquid. In fact unless you heat the liquid to near boiling it really does little good. My icing recipe has no liquid to mix it withicon_smile.gif

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 20 May 2012 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 11

Formynana let me know how the grandkids like the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%