Splattered Paint Effect?

Decorating By ButRCream Updated 31 Jul 2013 , 1:49am by K3nZi3GrL

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 13

I'm looking to achieve a "splattered paint" look as seen on this cake for an upcoming 80's themed Birthday cake. My guess is, you cover the cake with black fondant and splatter on neon airbrush color with a paintbrush? Am I far off or would you guys say this is a good way to go about this? If there's a previous post to this how-to, please feel free to point me to it! icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance!!
LL

12 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not sure how this cake was done ,but I think I would use colored royal icing or color white chocolate to get the splatter effect .

Sammy45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy45 Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 13

I actually did this cake for a friends birthday party a few weeks ago. It was pretty simple, I just dyed the fondant black, then made royal icing with neon food colors added to it. I did have to water down the royal icing to get the consistency that I wanted. After that I just took a spoon full and splattered it on the cake. It's really easy, but very messy. icon_smile.gif HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 13

Your best bet is to *buy* black (OR talk them into chocolate!) fondant unless you have an airbrush.

ButRCream Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:34am
post #5 of 13

Oh, there's NO WAY I'll be coloring the fondant myself - I'll be ordering Fondx in black, please! icon_wink.gif And it sounds like the royal icing is the way to go - thanks so much for everyone's help!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 May 2012 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 13

This seems to be pretty popular. Here's another thread. My reply is at the end.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7279638&highlight=splatter#7279638

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 18 May 2012 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 13

Here's a pic of one done by a cc member. She gives instructions in the comments. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2102368/splatter-cake

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 13

Put the runny royal icing into a squeeze bottle. Drip with LIGHT pressure for the lines, and the larger drops will form the spots that the picture shows.

shari3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari3boys Posted 23 May 2012 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 13

Im making this same cake next week.
I decided to use melting chocolate and color it for the splatters
I practiced and it turned out great!
let me see if i can post a pic

I can't seem to get this picture to post....but ill try to post a pic soon.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 23 May 2012 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 13

For those who are attempting do do this cake, I would definately use a cardboard box or tape newspaper on the cabinets and walls. It could be very messy. icon_smile.gif

ButRCream Posted 24 May 2012 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 13

Many, MANY thanks for all the replies!! Much appreciated and there were many tips brought forward I hadn't yet considered icon_smile.gif

d cake lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d cake lady Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 13

hi i just cake a cake to do with the slash effect and i panic but thank god i log on to cake central and there was the answer to all my questions...thanks guys

K3nZi3GrL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K3nZi3GrL Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 1:49am
post #13 of 13

how much cake mix do you use for two layers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%