Tasting Meeting Place For Home Baker

Business By SRumzis Updated 23 May 2012 , 5:44am by FromScratchSF

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 17 May 2012 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 17

I've been considering having tastings outside my home. I've been having them at home with no problem, and I do like my brides to be able to see the kitchen, my licenses, and be comfortable knowing my business is an open book, but sometimes I feel like having it in a neutral environment may be easier on many levels. Any suggestions on places? Just tossing it out there. Thanks guys.

16 replies
SRumzis Posted 17 May 2012 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 17

bump...anyone?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2012 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 17

I always had them at home in my dining room. I just never thought it fair to use a coffee shop as my place for a business meeting.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 17 May 2012 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 17

I saw one time a ccer talk about sharing an office in a corporate buliding like a conference room or something and they split the bill to make it affordable. You can look into something like that.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 May 2012 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 17

There are several folks here who do meet at coffee shops. I have always had tastings in my home. I'm in the process of moving so everything's on hold now but I'm hoping to start back up before too long. However, where I'll be living, having tastings in my home might not be feasible. I'm considering where I might have them, and I'm not really thrilled with the idea of Starbuck's.

SRumzis Posted 17 May 2012 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 17

Yeah I agree with you Leah, it doesn't feel right, at least for me anyways. Well I guess it's probably gonna be more home tastings for me since I don't have the extra money at this point for office rental. Thanks ladies!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 May 2012 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 17

You could also meet at the customer's home.

jgifford Posted 17 May 2012 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

You could also meet at the customer's home.

Holy Cakes, Batman! What an idea!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:57am
post #9 of 17

i go to Starbucks. Usually on the patio, and I always order something even if my couple doesn't. I've asked the counter/baristas or manager about meeting and bringing in cake samples and they have said that it is fine to do it. The one starbucks I go to frequently for meetings said that they have a wedding DJ that also does consultations there. I guess because it is such a huge corporation I don't find it odd. I surely wouldn't bring a box of cake into a locally-owned/operated coffee shop where they bake and serve pastry. That would feel like trespassing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2012 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 17

A coffee shop is fine, they expect people to come and do busienss there. I wouldn't have them unpack cake and dig in, but I'd give them a box of samples to take home and talk design and pricing at the shop.

I'd prefer to do that than to have people come to my house or go to theirs. Too creepy.

I share an office with some other home-based wedding businesses, and we take turns using it for consults. Maybe you could find some other people to do that.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 May 2012 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 17

I've been doing quite a few consultations lately and meet them at the local coffee shop.... I think it's fine to meet at a public place like that...

jgifford Posted 21 May 2012 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes

I've been doing quite a few consultations lately and meet them at the local coffee shop.... I think it's fine to meet at a public place like that...

Don't get me wrong - - I have no problem with a public place. However, if you're meeting in an environment over which you have no control, you're subject to distractions, noise, other customers, nosy people, etc.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 17

Yes, agree icon_smile.gif But the coffee shop I meet at is usually not as busy.. they have a great cozy ambiance and is not crowded at all... works good for me!

GlitterImages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GlitterImages Posted 22 May 2012 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 17

I always do my tastings in my home. After all that is where I work. I think the customer likes to see where their product will be made and that the facility is clean. I would be leery if as a customer couldn't do the tasting where the cake will be made. Be proud of what you do and where you do it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:50am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterImages

I always do my tastings in my home. After all that is where I work. I think the customer likes to see where their product will be made and that the facility is clean. I would be leery if as a customer couldn't do the tasting where the cake will be made. Be proud of what you do and where you do it.

For me it isn't a matter of being proud of where I work or not...the state of VA doesn't love it when you bring people into private residences to conduct business,because they don't want people turning a neighborhood into a business district. When I first started out they had a very clear policy of no customers coming to your home at all. They've lightened up on that, but I see the point from the perspective of zoning laws.

I also just don't like bringing a lot of strangers into my house. I don't know who these people are, so I prefer to meet them somewhere neutral. It's also a little more businesslike if you don't have the background noise of your kids shooting zombies on a video game coming from another room while you're trying to discuss cake design. I've had people who don't realize that i work from home tell me that when they went to another baker's residence and figured out that they worked from home they just drove away. Most people don't care, but some people definitely have a perception that home bakers are less professional, and having all of the activity of a house with people in it while you're trying to conduct business doesn't help that.

If you do meet people at your home, I'd make sure that you're not home by yourself, that any kids or pets are out of the area, and that your house is spotless. All it will take is for someone to use your bathroom and see what they think is a dirty floor to make them think that your kitchen is the same way.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 23 May 2012 , 4:38am
post #16 of 17

I met a bride at the Panera in town last month. I'm with Costumeczar in that I broughtcupcakes for them to take to THEIR home. Can't have the other customers going up to the counter and asking when the bread store started selling cuppies.
Ordered coffee and some things to take home after the meeting. For me it isn't that I don't want them to see my house as much as I want to be able to hear what they are saying.
Too much going on at my house...( see my tag) icon_lol.gif

mommachris

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 May 2012 , 5:44am
post #17 of 17

I do consults at Peets Coffee (like a Starbucks). I bring my own plates and silverware and try and make it as classy as I possibly can while still meeting at a Peets. I also don't want the staff to have to bus my tables or dishes, that's not cool. Anyway all the staff knows me and has no problem with me being there - everyone I meet always buys a coffee or tea and I'm tidy when I leave. Win=win.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%