Wilton Cake Decorating Classes

Baking By cake n bake Updated 18 May 2012 , 10:50pm by unctoothlady

cake n bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake n bake Posted 16 May 2012 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 14

Has anybody taking it? How was it? I heard good and bad things. Just want to know so people experience. I self taught myself but was think of take a class at Michaels

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2012 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 14

I taught the classes some 10 yrs ago for about 10 yrs.
They can be great OR bad depending on the instructor.
Just remember, the instructor's job is to *sell Wilton products*.
I think they can be a really great basis/starting point. You could easily be doing things wrong and learning how to do it right could improve your work and cut your decorating time way down. But don't go into the class w/the idea of "Oh, I already know how to do that icon_sad.gif " And proceed to tell the instructor how it's done icon_smile.gif
Take the time to learn it. You could take the same class from 4 different instructors and come away w/helpful hints/tips from 3 of them that the others never mention.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 14

I loved the classes. I lucked out and got a great teacher who wasn't there just to push Wilton products. She even taught us things not on the "Wilton syllabus".

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 14

If you have never taken a class, then taking classes at Michael's would be a good place to start. They are inexpensive enough and even if you only learned a few new techniques, they are well worth the money.

I started cake decorating basically when my children were young...some 35 years ago....just teaching myself from books. Then I stopped after I had to return to the workforce. A year ago, I decided I wanted to get back into it, just as a hobby, but things were so different (fondant icon_confused.gif what was that?) so I took all the classes I could at Michael's as well as watching all the youtube videos I could. Something they didn't have way back 35 years ago. Plus the things that I have learned on this site from fellow CC'ers has been amazing!

I don't say I'm a great cake decorator by any means, but I enjoy it and anytime I can learn something new from someone who knows the proper way to do it, I'm there! My Wilton instructor was amazing and I still keep in touch with her if I run into any problems. I have started taking more specialized classes now and in a couple of weeks I am excited to be taking an airbrushing class.

It is true, as Kakeladi stated, they will try to push the Wilton products and some I've bought and others I passed on or found a different brand that was recommeneded by other cake artists. For each class, there is a student kit that you need to purchase, but with the Michael's coupons, they are not that expensive.

So, in a nutshell...my advice would be to go for it! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 17 May 2012 , 12:06am
post #5 of 14

I took the beginner class because they had it on special for dirt cheap. The instructor wasn't great, but not terrible either. I learned some basic decorating, and overall I think it was helpful.

Desiree31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desiree31 Posted 17 May 2012 , 1:32am
post #6 of 14

I am taking a class right now at Michaels and really enjoy it. I took the first course and just bought the second book and taught myself. Im in the third course now. I have no real experience beforehand. I enjoy my instructor and think that adds to it!

swishykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swishykitty Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:00am
post #7 of 14

I have taken all of the Wilton courses, including the new wired flowers course. I had the best experience and learned so much, BUT I also had the most amazing instructor. I kept taking classes just to glean more pearls of wisdom from her. Yes, she is payed by Wilton, but she was careful to let us know what were the essential buys and not to waste our money on the fluff. The basics were informative and good building blocks for further exploration on my own, I would definitely recommend them as a good starting point, but the instructor can make or break your experience.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:04am
post #8 of 14

I have taken all of the Wilton courses . They are great , basic courses that will teach you some core techniques . I enjoyed them.

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:13am
post #9 of 14

I have not, nor will I take a Wilton class from the area I am in. I know the instructor personally and am absolutely shocked that Wilton would hire her to instruct classes... as she knows about the same amount I do and her cakes are not at all that impressive... My advice is find out from people around you how the instructors are!

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:18am
post #10 of 14

I took the first one. It was a good starting point. I'm not sure of how talented my instructor was, but I did learn some tips and techniques I didn't know before. Also it was nice to take the class with a friend and get away from my kids. icon_smile.gif

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 14

I took all 4 levels. While I can say I enjoyed them, I will say that a lot of what I have learned (the basics) I learned on my own....through forums like this one, youtube, books and DVDs.

I think if you have a great teacher, the class would be awesome.

But again, you can learn a lot on your own. Good luck!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 14

I baked all the time, but never did any real decorating. I took the first three about a year ago and had a good time. It was good to grasp all the basics of buttercream, royal icing, and fondant. That supplemented with youtube videos and now sugarshack DVDs (can't reccommend Sharon's DVDs enough) have provided me a great foundation which I can now say is an addiction!

Oh and I did meet some new friends and we keep in touch, and that was priceless.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 14

I took all the classes at michaels. The instructor was great. She showed us theWilton way and then showed her way. I learned a lot. I heard from several people that the classes at A.C. Moore were terrible.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings

I baked all the time, but never did any real decorating. I took the first three about a year ago and had a good time. It was good to grasp all the basics of buttercream, royal icing, and fondant. That supplemented with youtube videos and now sugarshack DVDs (can't reccommend Sharon's DVDs enough) have provided me a great foundation which I can now say is an addiction!

Oh and I did meet some new friends and we keep in touch, and that was priceless.

Totally agree! Sharon's videos taught me how to stack, smooth buttercream...I just completed my Zambito collection during the sale she had this week. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%