To Freeze Or Not To Freeze (Sponge Prior To Decorating)

Baking By The4manxies Updated 16 May 2012 , 5:43pm by The4manxies

The4manxies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The4manxies Posted 15 May 2012 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hi folks, hope you can give me your opinion? Normally I bake as near as possible to the order date but I've made a mistake and taken two bookings, both for 2 tier cakes for 50 portions. I thought I could give myself more time if I pre-baked the sponges and froze them the week before they're due so I can concentrate on all the modelling & decoration. Will the quality of the sponges be compromised? I've heard quite a few bakers pre-bake & freeze, any tips please? icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 May 2012 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 6

If your filling is stable in the freezer, I would get them done through crumb coating. Wrap well in several layers of plastic wrap, then foil. The freezing puts your cake on hold for exactly this type of situation. You just need to protect it from freezer burn(wrap well) and from absorbing any smells or tastes(again, wrap well). Many people find it improves their cakes.

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 15 May 2012 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

I was a bit leary of freezing my cakes as well, but decided to test this theory out and I must say they were delicious! I wrapped my cakes very well (probably more than I needed to) but I wanted to make sure of no freezer burn. Very moist and tasted like I just baked them. icon_smile.gif

The4manxies Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:58am
post #4 of 6

I was a bit leary of freezing my cakes as well, but decided to test this theory out and I must say they were delicious! I wrapped my cakes very well (probably more than I needed to) but I wanted to make sure of no freezer burn. Very moist and tasted like I just baked them.

Great news. Can I ask how you defrosted them, did you leave them in the original wrapping? Thanks icon_wink.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thaw them wrapped.

The4manxies Posted 16 May 2012 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks very much, appreciate the advice folks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%