Drawing On A Cake....

Decorating By Gavriela Updated 16 May 2012 , 4:57am by icer101

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 15 May 2012 , 2:20am
post #1 of 8

I have a client who has presented me with a portrait of grandma and would like me to incorporate it into the cake.... What would you recommend for drawing this image.... No my edible image printer is not an option. I was thinking of drawing it... With what? This cake is due this Friday May 18th... Last minute referral from another caker....

Please help.

Thank you,
Traci

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 May 2012 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavriela

No my edible image printer is not an option.

Why is the edible image not an option? Portrait "drawings" never look quite right. Maybe they provided the photo to be used on the cake without ever expecting it to be duplicated in icing or something edible. Did they specifically ask for the image to be drawn on? If not, they might only expect the photo to be laminated or covered in plastic wrap and added to the cake.

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 15 May 2012 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your response. My edible image printer is kaput... however the laminating idea did slip my mind... Thank you!

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 16 May 2012 , 1:31am
post #4 of 8

Are you covering the cake in fondant? Painting with gel colors is always an option if your painting skills are up to it...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:14am
post #5 of 8

You could make a copy of the photo, then use the copy and put it on top of a rolled-out piece of fondant. Take a pencil and draw lightly around the main parts of the picture to make an indentation in the fondant and to mark the main sections, then that would give you the right proportions. Depends on how confident you are in your freehand drawing. When it dries you can take the fondant and put it onto the cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 May 2012 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8

You could draw on rice paper with edible ink markers and shade with dust. I have a cake coming up next week where the client wanted an elevated version of a photo cake. Just completed the image and it looks pretty good.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 16 May 2012 , 4:48am
post #7 of 8

I don't know how many photos you have to work with but this is an option. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1809946.

I printed out color copies of the pictures of grandma the family provided on a regular printer and attached them to fondant frames.

Just a thought.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 May 2012 , 4:57am
post #8 of 8

cakelady2266, i like how you did your pics on your cake. very lovely!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%