Do You Do Anything Special With Candles?

Decorating By Lynne3 Updated 11 May 2012 , 1:13pm by milkmaid42

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 13

I have wrestled with new ideas for birthday cake candles and thought this forum of amazingly talented people could help.

When someone orders a birthday cake they are thinking about the cake. Then the cake gets to the venue and general staff plumks in a few candles that take away from the look of the cake. So the pictures of the big moment (blowing out the candles) makes the cake look unprofessional.

I jave attached pictures of one cake I did where I arranged for the candles and they were a part of the order.

I was hoping that you guys may have other ideas of how you handled the "candle" issue on your event cakes.
LL

12 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 May 2012 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 13

This is a good question - I'd like to know what others do as well.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 10 May 2012 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 13

I have seen people put them on the board with some fondant attaching them here is a pic.
http://planetcake.com.au/PLC/client/ProductCatalogue_V6/c_catalogueItem.jsp?categoryID=2&childCategoryID=4&elementID=20

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 May 2012 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 13

We have a family tradition that white candles represent decades, and non-white candles represent individual years.

We also generally use plastic candleholders (does anybody still make them? I can't remember the last time I saw them in any store, not that I don't have plenty), rather than directly inserting the candles into the cake: paraffin wax is not "Good Eats."

Both of these can be seen in the pound cake I baked for my father's 77th birthday:
poundcake.small by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr

I also, to keep my supply of birthday candles organized, have a simple compartmentized box for them, from The Container Store, and I'm probably going to pick up a similar one for the candleholders.

Lynne3 Posted 10 May 2012 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 13

In the cake I posted, I attached them to the base.

I have asked clients for pics of cake at event and the "poor candles" they plunk in made me realize that addressing the "candle issue" as part of the cake was a better way.

But I am always looking for new ideas with the darn candles.
People please post anything you have done.
LL

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 10 May 2012 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 13

As long as the occasion calls for it, I put candles on the cake and I usually don't have to raise the price because candles aren't all that expensive. I buy nice ones whenever I see them so I always have in stock. I just got some from [url]jesterscakesupply.com [/url]

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 10 May 2012 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 13

This is such a great topic (I Love It). I only make cakes for family and friends. I just made a cake not to long ago that was Monsters Inc. theme for my friend. When it was time to sing happy birthday she stuck this ugly # 2 candle right in the top of Mike Sullys head. I cringed and sang right along like nothing had happend. I would also like to know where to get pretty candles and how to place them on or around the cake. Without killing my creation icon_smile.gif Thanks for any info and such a great topic

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraving

When it was time to sing happy birthday she stuck this ugly # 2 candle right in the top of Mike Sullys head

<Bugs Bunny>That would HOIT, Doc!</Bugs Bunny>

Wait a second . . . "Mike Sully"?!?

The big blue furry fellow (dubbed "kitty" by Boo) would be James P. "Sully" Sullivan; his spherical green sidekick would be Mike Wazowski.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 13

Oh got it..... it was mike the one eyed monster

Lynne3 Posted 10 May 2012 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 13

I don't like candles that are shaped like an object. I find that it detracts from the cake.

For smaller birthday cakes I use the TAG 7" candles. They only come in solid colors, but the colors are nice.

Wilton makes a "long" candle 5.75 inch. But I don't find them to be straight. They always have a slight bow to them.

I use long tapers on the big tiered birthdau cakes.

I am still looking for some more ideas though. Chime in if you have any

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:37am
post #11 of 13

For a barbie cake I did I attached the candles to little roses made of fondant then attached them to the cake board.
http://thecrumbcanvas.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=149165914

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 11 May 2012 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 13

I love the idea of using roses to attach the candles to a girlier cake! I tend to just use fondant (see pic below) but now you've got me thinking about how I could tie the candle 'holders' into the cake design too...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2305308/playing-card-cake

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 May 2012 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 13

I have always cringed when a candle is stuck into a cake I've made, particularly those shaped like numbers. For those I leave a little room on the cakeboard. However, I was lucky for one birthday cake and was able to incorporate it into the design:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2001661/tals-3rd-birthday

I'm just glad he wasn't much older than 3...would have necessitated a longer train!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%