Transporting In Hot Weather

Decorating By 61999 Updated 11 May 2012 , 8:36pm by DeeDelightful

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 9 May 2012 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I have an SUV and the windows a slightly tinted. The airconditioning is average. I live in very hot (often over 100F) and humid climate. I need some advice on how to keep my cakes from getting warm during transportation. When I have 3 or more tiers I often travel with them stacked already, or at least halfway - so I can't place them in individual coolers.

Also when working in this weather even though my kitchen is airconditioned - when I need the cake out for several hours to work on it it starts to get a little soft. If I paint or do alot of decor on it I am hesistant to place back in fridge. Sometimes having only 1 hour to work on the cake outside of refrigeration is just not enough to finish all the intricacies of a design. Any advice?

2 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 3

I would love to know the answer to this question as I to will be traveling with a wedding cake in hot summer heat. I have used an umbrella to shade the sun coming through the windows. Hope all goes well with your cake.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 3

I think the best bet when travelling with a wedding cake is to refrigerate each tier in a separate box before leaving and travel with the cake unassembled. Leave in plenty of time to assemble on location. That's how I do it. It will be easier to assemble than to have to fix any mishaps. Lately, I have had a top layer slide off of a bottom layer due to humidity (I guess). So, I tried putting a boba tea straw between the layers of 2 layer cakes. For tiered cakes, I suppose you could hammer the sharpened dowel thru all the tiers. I just don't trust travelling with fully assembled wedding cakes. I am not that experienced, yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%