Science Behind The Bubble In Frosting

Decorating By Dayti Updated 9 May 2012 , 9:40pm by jgifford

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 12

I left a red velvet fridge in the cake overnight by mistake - I only meant to leave it there enough for the crumb coat to harden. Anyhow, I took it out this morning and put the final coat of frosting on. 2 hours later a bubble has developed on the side, and a smaller one on the top. The cake had already settled before the crumb coat was applied. Why does this only happen with cakes I have refridgerated or frozen, and not with room temp cakes? Please explain icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 12

That's the only time it happens to me as well, and only with powdered sugar based icing. I think it has to do with the condensation loosening the final coat, which causes it to bulge. From now on I only ice cakes at room temperature, but I always refrigerate before delivery.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I left a red velvet fridge in the cake overnight by mistake -

Got Coffee?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Got Coffee?

I'll bring the forks! thumbs_up.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 12

Every time I want to put a fridge in a cake, I end up making snickerdoodles. No forks required. icon_biggrin.gif
shanter, crazy in Seattle

jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 12

The culprit is the condensation under the icing, makes the icing blow out. icon_sad.gif

Dayti Posted 9 May 2012 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Got Coffee?

Clearly I think faster than I type icon_lol.gif
I popped the bubble, melvira'd the icing, and another one appeared in the same place a few hours later. Now the icing is cracking because of the huge bubble... think I'll just scrape the lot off and re-ice. Or send it over to the US and you guys can eat it...

Dayti Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 12

Fixed. No cake for you, sorry. I have now learnt my lesson re. chilling cakes for too long!

jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 12

Wow! We missed out on that? thumbsdown.gif Looks beautiful.

SteveJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SteveJ Posted 9 May 2012 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 12

The air bubble was most likely always there but as you took it out of the fridge the cake and icing will have warmed up and all air pockets in the entire thing (may explain the cracking) will have expanded as the air inside them warmed and expanded.

that's partly why cakes sink slightly when they come out of the oven as all the air pockets cool and shrink. It is also why somepeople like to chill their cakes before applying roll out fondant so that as it warms it expands slightly and pulls the fondant really tight and smooth. but again if you have an airbubble under your fondant it will expand and make the icing bulge!

sorry to spoil the thread with technical stuff!

jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ

The air bubble was most likely always there but as you took it out of the fridge the cake and icing will have warmed up and all air pockets in the entire thing (may explain the cracking) will have expanded as the air inside them warmed and expanded.

that's partly why cakes sink slightly when they come out of the oven as all the air pockets cool and shrink. It is also why somepeople like to chill their cakes before applying roll out fondant so that as it warms it expands slightly and pulls the fondant really tight and smooth. but again if you have an airbubble under your fondant it will expand and make the icing bulge!

sorry to spoil the thread with technical stuff!

That's ok - you missed out on cake too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%