Is Homemade Fondant Really That Superior Or Less Expensive?

Baking By CupcakeQT82 Updated 1 May 2012 , 11:48am by unctoothlady

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

I have yet to make my own fondant. With all the different kinds out there I just haven't seen the point yet. But is there really superior taste? Or is it cheaper to make your own?? What are the benefits? It just seems like more work.

6 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 7

It is more work than just opening a tub. Price wise isn't even close I could make a batch larger than the Wilton 5lb box that cost around $24 for less than $5. It tastes a lot better than the wilton and I wasn't impressed with Satin ice. There are many different homemade fondant recipes to try. Last night I made Sophiebelle's with the jello....seems crumbly but taste awesome. Homemade is also so much easier to color!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 7

I rarely buy fondant because I don't use fondant often I have had good luck with a variety of recipes. If you make your own, you can control the flavor and don't really prefer one over the other. I thought the jello fondant was too intense a flavor and liked it better mixed by half with MMF. I have had good luck mixing colors except the dark colors. I have found if I add too much gel color that I have texture problems. The only colors I usually buy are black and red. I must say, however that SweetWise has a really good sale right now on Fondex and I am tempted to order some even though I don't need it right now. http://sweetwise.com/edibles/fondant-icings-gumpaste/fondx.html?p=1

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 7

I NEVER buy premade fondant because it is so expensive & tastes horrible. I used to make MMF but my final profuct was never consistent & I was sick of hoping my batch would come out right. I now make MFF (Michelle Foster's Fondant) & I LOVE IT!!! I have never had an issue with it so far & it tastes delicious! It just melts in your mouth & isn't chewy like MMF. I use my airbrush if I need black or red rather than trying to color the fondant by hand.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 1 May 2012 , 1:55am
post #5 of 7

I tried buying it, but now will only make it from scratch. Duff's brand is not bad tasting, but very expensive. I also tried a couple of other brands that were expensive as well, and tasted terrible. I now only make MMF (but am going to try MFF!) and it's way cheaper and better tasting.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 May 2012 , 2:38am
post #6 of 7

I use Fondarific because I like the taste and the smell. I have made my own and it was good, but I really like the consistency of Fondarific too. Also, I don't want to wear out my mixers.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 1 May 2012 , 11:48am
post #7 of 7

I used to buy Fondx because it tastes good and is very easy to work with but ever since I tried the Foster's recipe, I now make mine.

I like the fact that there is no chemical smell, it feels like fondx, tastes great and it's fairly cheap to make.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Her fondant has many variations too: chocolate, lemon etc. You can find those in her book "The Sugar Fix"

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%