Gumpaste/sugar Succulents

Decorating By sixbittersweets Updated 8 Apr 2013 , 5:41am by ardelop

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 1:41am
post #1 of 17

I have a friend who really wants GUMPASTE (not real) succulents on her wedding cake -- does anyone know of a tutorial or have any tips for making/coloring these? Thanks in advance!!

16 replies
krae0057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krae0057 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 1:48am
post #2 of 17

The September 2010 issue of the Cakecentral magazine has a nice succulent tutorial. I downloaded it too for a wedding cake I have coming up.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 2:35am
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krae0057

The September 2010 issue of the Cakecentral magazine has a nice succulent tutorial. I downloaded it too for a wedding cake I have coming up.

This may be your best bet. I recently did a pretty exhaustive search for tutorials online for GP succulents and couldn't find a darn thing. However, they look comparatively easy to make since most of them are pretty chunky.

The artistry, as usual, seems to lie in the coloring with petal dusts. Do a Gallery search here on CC and you'll pull up some nice examples.

daya23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daya23 Posted 3 May 2012 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 17

Hi. I need the tutorial too. The magazines are by Volume and Issue..does anyone know what the volume and issue of the Cake Centrals September 2010 mag?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:

THANK YOU!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 May 2012 , 4:32am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

THANK YOU!!!

OMG!! THANK YOU X100000!!! I needed this in the worst way! I posted this ( http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=738377&highlight=) a couple months ago and didn't get too far, that tute is awesome with extra awesomesauce! I might actually be able to pull this off...... icon_lol.gif

Apti Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

I needed this in the worst way! I posted this ( http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=738377&highlight=) a couple months ago and didn't get too far, that tute is awesome with extra awesomesauce! I might actually be able to pull this off...... icon_lol.gif

Jeep Girl, you should also invest in the online Cake Central.com magazine for September 2010. I think it's about $6 to download the entire issue. I have that issue (online download), so this is the information:

On page 27 you see the 3 tier cake with a spray of GP succulents and a few flowers, then on pages 28 and 29 there are 32 separate pictorial, step-by-step instructions on how to make the succulents. Kaysie Lacky of The People's Cake, did the demonstrations and tutorial for the GP echeveria.
------------------
Another forum member in an earlier post you'd made about this cake had mentioned the September 2010 issue for the tutorial. That's why I bought it!

Ms. Lackey supplies a complete list of tools and materials needed, including colors and dust colors. She shows how and when to wrap each "petal", etc.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 May 2012 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 17

Woohoo! Done & done! Thanks again!

Apti Posted 7 May 2012 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 17

Cannot wait to see your finished cake when it finally gets done! You may want to take your own step-by-step photos and create a tutorial. You now know how hard it is to find them!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 May 2012 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 17

Totally! Now I'm just waiting for my PDF download :-/ I got the confirmation email that said my PDF instructions would follow in a few moments buuuuuuut, so far nuthin' and yeah, I keep checking the spam folder, ugh I hate waiting for stuff!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 17

Could someone please help me find the link to download the September 2010 issue? I have only been able to find a page about the preview of that issue, but nowhere can I find download information!

Apti Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Could someone please help me find the link to download the September 2010 issue? I have only been able to find a page about the preview of that issue, but nowhere can I find download information!

You have to purchase the digital back issue from CakeCentral for $5.99

Here's the page of the digital back issues:

http://shop.cakecentral.com/collections/cake-central-magazine

You want Vol. 1, Issue 6 (you can see a photo of the cover with the article about "succulent succulents, a tutorial".

hnfizer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnfizer1 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 17

Wow these are gorgeous thanks for the link!!!

hnfizer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnfizer1 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 17

AHere is what I came up with. Thanks for the help. :-) These are before and after of my airbrushing also. Hope I got the pics downloaded right on here.

Apti Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 8:19pm
post #16 of 17

hnfizer1~~Welcome to the forum!  I went to your profile and the succulent photo was in your photographs.  Lovely work!

ardelop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ardelop Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 5:41am
post #17 of 17

found this on youtube  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%