Help Needed Asap

Decorating By sweet_cravings Updated 29 Apr 2012 , 7:49am by Chellescakes

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 7

Totally new in here..
Want to make 2 tired square cakes covered in fondant. Planning 2 layers & filling inbetween for each tire... My choices are Red Velvet at the bottom, strawberry / raspberry or mango mousse (done using heavy whipping cream & unflavored geletin) & top layer would be either pure white or Angel food white cake. Crumb coat under fondant I usually do butter cream but this time want to try White chocolate ganache.

What do you think ..
1) this combination sounds good?
2) will this combo stay fresh & neat 6-8 hrs at room temp?
3) never used ganach before & not with fondant.. will these 2 go well with eachother?
4) how do I carry/deliver this cake .. I have read commute option/tips but did not find anything about cake box.. I mean tired cake's goes in bigger/taller box or open?? Also if it goes in box where can I find such big box?.. I have never seen any in Michael's craft shop or anywhere.. This would be VERY formal party.. don't want to goof up..

So worried for whole thing... PLEASE help me

TONS Thanks in advance to helping me..

6 replies
Sarahoza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahoza Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there,

I have a little input regarding your post.

Red Velvet at the bottom, strawberry / raspberry or mango mousse, it seems like it would be a bit dense. I believe that red velvet is best with cream cheese type of fillings but that's my own personal preference. Did you give it a try?? This type of mousse and the RV and if you did and most of your audience loved it then you may very well go for it. How about if you make this mousse filling for your white cake?? I think it would be more vibrant in color and in taste. Regarding leaving this part of the cake in room temp, it basically depends on where do you live and how hot/ humid the weather is. This is because I don't believe that the mousse (as it is cream based) would hold itself in hot weather.

Regarding white chocolate ganache under fondant I know that most cake decorators in Australia and in UK do this. It gives a more sharpened finish to the corners of the cake.

Regarding your last point I believe I can't be of much help there.

Sarah

shellw72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellw72 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 6:24am
post #3 of 7

I would probably also use a cream cheese filling for your red velvet, but again this is purely based on personal preference.

White chocolate ganache under fondant is fine. I recently did a white chocolate mud cake, with white chocolate ganache covered with fondant with no problems. Yum!

Re: delivering the cake. What sized are the cakes? Can you assemble it on site?

Good luck icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 6:41am
post #4 of 7

Many people don't put the cake in a box to transport. I prefer to do it with a box. So I get a box that fits the diameter of the cake board then tape the flaps on the top of the box up so they're standing and the box is taller. (Your cake may peep out of the top.) I also make sure that the sides are split down the corners on the front of the box so that you can slide the cake in or out of the box. That's how I put the cake in and then I tape the sides up. I hope this makes sense. Make sure to use a plastic mesh drawer liner under the box so it doesn't slide around in the car.

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 7

I'm pretty sure you can get box extenders which fit along the sides of the cake box to lift the lid up higher, but I'm from the UK so I've no idea about availability elsewhere. I've made my own before with regular card, then saran-wrapped the sides to stop any dust etc getting in there, just in case.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Lg boxes ca n be purchased at places like Office Depot or OfficeMax; sometimes eve n at WalMart.
When I was doing cakes I never boxed my deliveries. I keep my car clean and know it will be safe.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 7:49am
post #7 of 7

Being and Australian , I can help with the ganache question, with white chocolate ganache , just make sure you use a ration of three parts chocolate to one part cream. Boil the cream and then add the chocolate off the heat just keep stirring and it will melt.

I cover all my cakes with ganache before I cover them with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%