I Feel So Special!

Decorating By GinaJuarez Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 7:09am by tanyascakes

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

Sorry, I just have to share this.

At my work, someone just had a 20th work anniversary, and to celebrate, they had a party and cake. The person arranging the party "forgot" that I do cakes, and just went to Costco and got one. No joke and I'm not being spiteful (okay, maybe a little icon_lol.gif ), this cake was the ugliest cake I have seen. It was a 1/2 sheet cake with just a border and some curling ribbon on it. They had sprayed the border with the sprayon color, and it was totally uneven. REALLY BLUE is some spots not at all blue in others. Not to mention the store-bought taste And to top it off......They spelled the lady's name wrong!!!

I must have had 7 or 8 different people come up to me and ask why I didn't make the cake, or to tell me that my cake was so much better. I felt like I was Queen Caker!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 8

Good for you Gina! That's really saying something when people comment on how great your cakes are when they aren't even eating it! icon_smile.gif

Too bad for the lady with the anniversary that she didn't get to eat your cake instead- I bet they'll remember you next time!!!

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 8

What a great compliment to you!!!! It's nice to feel like a queen sometimes!!! Maybe your co worker will think twice next time icon_lol.gif

Daniela

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

i just had to laugh when i read about the name being spelled wrong. not to mention how ugly it was. maybe the co workers will remember you next time. its what people get for getting a costco cake! haha i shouldnt laugh, the lady that put in 20 years got a bum deal. you ought to make her a small personalized cake as a special gift, then she can have a good cake for putting in all those years, not to mention all co workers will see what not calling you first made them miss out on.
melody

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 8

I agree!!! They're the ones that missed out on some gooooood cake...
That'll teach them not to call on you first..

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 8

*LOL*....that reminds me of the time that a "friend" of mine ordered a cake, from a local bakery, because it was "cheaper" than what I could make for her.

She picked the cake up and hated it and called me up and wanted to know if I could whip up some of my "fabulous" buttercream and bring some tips over and "fix" the cake she had bought so it looked good.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8

Like I tell these people, you want a quality cake, order from me... you want a store bought cake with no taste and no design, buy it from the discount chain stores... not all of these stores are bad, but most are.

I'm glad they came to you and told you this too .. they know quality icon_wink.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 7:09am
post #8 of 8

Gina, that does sound like it made you feel good. Being a bakery/deli worker myself, I can say that the cakes we order and decorate aren't the best tasting or looking. I mean even though I sometimes decorate them, it isn't my quality work. I am having to rush them out so fast. But I ALWAYS get the name right!!! I would feel terrible if I didn't. But ours are mostly basic cakes with us just having to put whatever message they want on there. If I have the time, I will try to put roses or something on them. But we have so little equipment there to do anything with. I brought in some of my own stuff ONCE!! Believe it or not, half of it disappeared! I haven't brought in anything else since then. The people here are used to the cakes they get from. I don't have a liscence -none of us do- so I rarely offer to do a customer's cake for them. I don't want to get fired right? But if I see them on the street and they have tried on I made for school or some other function, then I let them know that I can help them out. And boy do they know the difference then!!!!

Tanya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%