Suggestions For A Cake Making A Trip

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 27 Apr 2012 , 6:42pm by Wildgirl

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be making a friend a wedding cake next month. As of right now the design is going to be a pale sky blue with white daisies cascading down from the top.

The cake is going to be making an eight hour minimum car ride, however and then will sit over night to be assembled the following day. I have to make everything before we leave for the trip as I will not be in a location where I can do it once we are there. So, it brings up some questions:

1. I've never done this many 3D flowers before (non-piped)... how do I attach them to the cake so that they stay secured?

2. What is the best material to make them out of since they will be done at least two days prior to assembly? Fondant? Gumpaste? Modeling chocolate?

3. What would be the best way to package them to get them through the trip so that they don't distort, stick to each other, melt, or fall apart?

4. What technique would you suggest for doing a large number of flowers efficiently? I'm doing simple white daisies (instead of the yellow centers they are going to be colorful music notes) and I want them to be 3D/pop up, etc.

Thank you for any help!!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

1.... how do I attach them to the cake so that they stay secured?
Are they going to be wired? I almost never made any wired flowers so it can be done icon_smile.gif Use some melted choco to attach them OR pipe an open circle of b'cream on the back of each flower before adding to the cake.

2. What is the best material to make them out of since they will be done at least two days prior to assembly? Fondant? Gumpaste? Modeling chocolate?
I usually made flowers out of fondant - sometimes adding some Tylose powder OR Wilton's GumTex; occasionally gp. They will be just fine made even as much as a month ahead icon_smile.gif (So get crackin' gal - get those flowers made LOL)

3. What would be the best way to package them to get them through the trip so that they don't distort, stick to each other, melt, or fall apart?
1st off - get it through you head right now - there *will* be some breakage. Plan on it by making extra flowers.
Store them in boxes - gift boxes like on would put a shirt or such. Line it w/thin, soft styrofoam or lots of tissure paper; best if only one layer of flowers but you could do a 2nd layer by adding another layer of foam or lots of tissue paper. Transport the box *flat*. I see you are in an area where there could be lots of humidityicon_smile.gif See if you can find some of those pkg's used in shoe boxes to absorb moisture and add a couple to each box.

4. What technique would you suggest for doing a large number of flowers efficiently? I'm doing simple white daisies .... want them to be 3D/pop , etc.
Make you flowers nowicon_smile.gif Use a daisy cutter and roll out the fondant very thin. Dry them in a shallow cup so they have a slight cupping/curve to them. Allow them to dry well before storing.
Make each flower 2 layers. Make the flowers, dry them well then sandwich two together by using a tiny bit of fresh fondant that has just a tiny bit of water brushed on both sides. When you put them together, off set the petals so the top flower's petals are between the bottom one.
(Where exactly in IN are you? I just moved from Goshen to CA)
Hope this info helps icon_smile.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5

1 with daisies I would attache with buttercream.
2 I make my flowers with Gum Paste or maybe 50/50 Gumpaste and fondant. Gum Paste can be rolled thinner for more realistic petals.
3 I use a lining of bubble wrap at the bottom and in between each layer of flowers.

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your help!!! Very much appreciated!!

I'm not going to wire the flowers; I've not ever done that before... unless I should start? :p I've done flowers on cakes before by attaching with buttercream or gumpaste glue, but I just wasn't sure about the trip; I'm assuming I'll need to take all of the pieces parts there and assemble on site (or at least in the hotel room... I tend to prefer to deliver the cake complete... I can't STAND having an audience while I assemble :p )

@Kakeladi: I'm a bit South of where you were. icon_smile.gif I'm down in Richmond; on I-70 right before you get into Ohio! I know of Goshen though! A friend of mine is from a town near there (La Grange). icon_smile.gif

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 5

I've only had one experience transporting a cake with flowers down the sides - and I didn't have to drive quite as far as you will, but I was surprised that bc held them quite well - that along with the sps held everything where it should be. Sounds like it will be very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%