Turrets For Castle Cake

Decorating By Angela49uk Updated 22 Apr 2012 , 12:27pm by cakesnglass

Angela49uk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela49uk Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make this cake:

http://fancythatcake.com/work/storybook-princess-castle-birthday-cake/

I know the turrets in this cake as plastic, but what would you use to make these? Preferably edible? RKT?

I was thinking swiss rolls icon_smile.gif Is that a daft idea?

8 replies
paulacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulacake Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 9

I have made a cake like this I used plain ice cream cones dipped in chocolate and the top was a sugar cone also dipped in chocolate and roled in sugar crystal. I don't have that picture posted, I will try to find it if your interested. Best of luck, it was messy but came out cute after you add all the details.

singhscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singhscakes Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

I made a similar cake in my gallery and I used rkt for them. Swiss rolls might not hold up with fondant on them.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 9

I have made mine out of gelatin icing.

zaheera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaheera Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 9

I've tried swiss rolls but they weren't sturdy enough. what i might try would be used food cans, washed out and the paper peeled off. then bake cakes in ther with supports between two layers high and a dowel through the centre. then cover and decorate with rolled fondant

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Apr 2012 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 9

I used RKT for this, with an ice cream cone wrapped in fondant for the cone shaped top. For the RKT, I just molded them by hand, slight crushing the cereal to make it firmer, lightly coated in candy melts for strength then wrapped in fondant. It was pretty easy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150626621086626&set=a.248065686625.149697.247654591625&type=3&theater

stana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 11:38am
post #8 of 9

Cover a length of PVC in silicone paper. Measure the circumfrence of the PVC. Cut GUMPASTE to the height you want and the circumfrence just measured. Emboss and wrap (not too tightly) around the PVC. Let dry. Your crenelations can be made using The straight frill cuter from FMM (No 9-12) Icecream cones covered in chocolate, candy melts or icing can be left plain or dipped in sprinkles. You can turn a cone upside down and crenelate it for where the princess is standing.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 22 Apr 2012 , 12:27pm
post #9 of 9

My turrets are a little different (my pics) but the technique works the same. I use exterior of caulking tube. (hubby's) used Edna designmeacake. gumpaste (recipe on her site) covered them in clear plastic wrap greased slight,rolled out the dough rect.cut to size and laying the tube at one edge rolled it up trimmed excess and closed seam with tylose glue. Let dry 1 hr. and slowly twisted each to make sure they would not stick and then let dry overnight. removed from tubing and air dried 3 days. Strudy and level.Cover the top/opening once dry with round gumpaste (this will be the base for your tower peaks(I used icecream cone,covered the same way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%