What Would You Use For A Sword?

Decorating By Ramara Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 6:19pm by shanter

Ramara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramara Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I made my son a Mine Craft cake this weekend. It was a "grass block" with a sword coming out. The sword is straight up. There are just a couple inches of sword before the handle begins (above the cake). A Mine Craft sword is not thin. I made it from RKT, but found that it didn't want to stand up. The RKT wanted to bend and sag. I ran skewers through it and ended up having to have three behind it to hold it up. It was probably an inch thick. I find that I learn new tricks with every cake, but this one, I'm having trouble imagining how I might have done it differently....suggestions?

2 replies
PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 3

When I have to have something heavy sticking out of a cake, I make the cake board thick and hammer the dowels through the cake and into the cake board.
I would probably make the sword out of gumpaste. Another thing I do to make RKT stronger is to run about half the rice crispies through the food processor. This does make it more dense and heavier though.
Good luck!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 3

I would make the sword out of pastillage. It dries rock hard (can be cut with a saw or Dremel and can be sanded) and should stand up for a long time, at least until the cake is eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%