Totally Stumped On This One!

Decorating By nicunurse Updated 6 Apr 2012 , 11:20pm by shanter

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there! I have a request for a cake with searsucker accents. I have been playing around with my fondant but no luck. Any suggestions on how to achieve this look?
Thanks in advance!

12 replies
Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 13

As in the fabric?? I don't understand why accents? Or does she just want the whole cake covered in a sheet of fondant that looks like the fabric?

nicunurse Posted 4 Apr 2012 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you for your reply! I will try to attach the image of the theme she is using for the party. I am going to make the alligator on top of the cake, but cannot figure out how to achieve the pattern either on the alligator or covering the cake. Thanks for any help!!
LL

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:04am
post #4 of 13

Yeah that's a tough one! Have you tried to go a fabric store and buy the fabric and roll your fondant out on top? Then you could just paid the blue color on the white fondant with a paint brush? I don't know how steady of a hand you have but it would be tedious... Off to home so won't be on the computer, hope it works out! Bye! icon_smile.gif

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:42am
post #5 of 13

If you have time, maybe you could order an edible paper or fondant sheet with the pattern on it. I did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.cakeart.us/Gingham-8-x-10-Background-sheet-choice-wafer-paper-or-Frosting-sheet-_p_262.html

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 12:44am
post #6 of 13
Joni1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joni1962 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:07am
post #7 of 13

Hello, what about a smocking rolling pin? I know that may look more like corduroy, but it is a thought. Joni

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:18am
post #8 of 13

I found this technique using sugarveil....when the link opens you need to scroll down about halfway or a little more...there is a gold and white seersucker looking bow that has been made using Sugarveil, the sugarveil mat and sugarveil comb
http://www.sugarveil.com/pdfs/sugarveil-monogramming.pdf

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:20am
post #9 of 13

what about the no skid shelf liner that we use to keep our cakes from moving in transport. I think rolling that over your fondant would give it kind of a searsucker pattern.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:29am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Maybe something like this could work: http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2012/03/easy-gingham-cookies-cookie-decorating.html

This is what I was thinking.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 1:30am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru

what about the no skid shelf liner that we use to keep our cakes from moving in transport. I think rolling that over your fondant would give it kind of a searsucker pattern.

Oh that reminded me of plastic canvas: http://www.anniesattic.com/supplies/list.html?cat_id=1093

You can buy them at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby, and they're very inexpensive.

nicunurse Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 3:40am
post #12 of 13

Oh my gosh!! Thank you soo much for all of your replies!! Flourpots, I did try the non skid shelf liner and that did work, I was just concerned about obtaining the stripes, and DUH.... airbrush and a temp plate per the link you provided!! You guys are fabulous!!! Will post a pic upon completion!! Thanks again!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Apr 2012 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 13

You could also frost in white, then frost over in blue, then drag a comb through the blue to reveal the white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%