Multi Age And Gender Cake Decorations????

Decorating By Vexys Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 1:43pm by Vexys

Vexys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vexys Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 4

I'm beyond stuck on what to do for this cake.

All I know is the shape will be topsy turvy. I've got 2 topsy turvy cakes coming up later in the month so I made the mention I was doing a test cake to an aunt. She asked what I was going to do with it and the connection hit that I should just do it a week earlier and bring it for Easter. I'm really happy that I can do something special for the family, but then the freak out hit that I have no clue how to decorate such a cake! My other ones have specific colors and motifs that we're going for since they're for 1 teen girl and tween each, so they're a lot easier to work with!

My family celebrates a lot of birthdays this time of year and the age range literally is from our littlest addition who turns 1 all the way up to a great aunt of his who is turning 69. We've got a toddler, tween, teen, early 30s, late 30s, mid 40s and our later 60s all wrapped into one cake. So many different personalities and paths of life make this cake something that really could be special or awful!

Also, half the family hates fondant so I'm just going to do buttercream with fondant decorations vs covering the whole cake so it's less to pick off. Believe me I'll never hear the end of it otherwise lol.

Someone, anyone, HELP!!!

3 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

My "go-to" cake for men or mixed gender/ages is a version of the "gift box". That would easily work with buttercream as your base, and add fondant decorations.

Examples of what I'm talking about:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/view/search/?searches[]=&searches[]=present&album=-&search_user=

You can also use colors which are not necessarily male or female and geometric designs.

You could tweak a version of this beautiful cake by tomswife for topsy-turvy:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1760604/masculine-40th-birthday-cake

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 9:06am
post #3 of 4

Apti's suggestion of 'tomswife' cake is great. Love it You could personalise a star for each person.

Vexys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vexys Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 4

Great ideas! Thank you!! Going to dig through my cutters and see if anything else pops out at me. Something is making me want to do strips and dots in spring colors but we'll see what ends up on the outside!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%