Painting On Buttercream???

Decorating By LaurenSprinkles Updated 9 Feb 2017 , 5:38pm by carrotcake1

LaurenSprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenSprinkles Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 16

Is this possible? i need to paint cheetah print on a cake but the person does not want fondant. . .I know i'd have to have a GREAT CRUSTING buttercream but can it even be done is my ultimate question>if so is there any tips you have for me? Thanks so much in advance!

-Lauren

15 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 16

Oh I love painting on cakes and yes you will need a great crusting buttercream and a good bottle of everclear or vodka.

1. let cake crust
2. mix color and everclear or vodka to a thin consistancy but not too thin.
3. using a sterile paintbrush paint your design on cake

you can even create a variety of stencils of paws to keep them neat and trim looking. if you are not comfortable with freehand painting.

the alcohol evaporates and leaves the color behind.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 16

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1219978/skate-board-cake

This cake was buttercream and the whole top and sides were hand painted on. I used airbrush colors and soft paint brushes. It can be done, you just need a crusting icing (just used my regular recipe) and a soft touch.

LaurenSprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenSprinkles Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 16

WOW Thanks sooooo uch ladies i really appreciate it!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 16

Truthfully I don't worry about crusting that much. I put that bad boy in the fridge to get rock hard (my American BC recipe is mostly butter) and then I go to town with the painting! The tie-dye cake in my pics is sponge-painted.

res3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
res3boys Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 16

I am going to try this with cheetah print. Any tips for getting the perfect cheetah print with it so it looks even? is their a type of stencil of sorts???
Also so I use the gel colors mixed with vodka??

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 16

Yes use the gel colors mixed with vodka. Practice with some BC smeared on a piece of waxed paper. It should be very easy to do a cheetah print. Just do a Google image search and kind of follow that. Good luck!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 16

did you consider piping the print on and then smoothing it out, that is how I do my camo. We have done cheetah print the same way in the past.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=659223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Apr 2012 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 16

Here is the buttercream cake I did in leopard print. I used gel colors mixed with lemon extract. I think the extract dries faster than vodka. My secret is that I made sure the buttercream was very cold and hard before I started painting on it. Works great and goes really fast.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1998796/leopard-print-birthday-cake-for-friend

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 16

Just what I needed to hear!   I'm doing one this weekend and they don't want fondant on their cake.  What were the colors used brown and black?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 16

Another option is butter cream cheetah..I do this cake constantly. 

butter cream cake, butter cream cheetah print & fondant bow

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 16

Dang...sorry for the monster size pic...I resized before I hit submit.

spankyummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spankyummys Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 4:47am
post #13 of 16

ALoved it! Thanks for sharing!

Jenna1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna1121 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 16

AHi All,

For the base for of your leopard print buttercream cakes are you using just brown gel food coloring? My top tier cake is hot pink and I'm trying to get I'm trying to get a nice tan color and am having no luck. The color keeps turning this muddy sienna color. Your help is greatly appreciated:)

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:30am
post #15 of 16

Jenna, are you using the chocolate brown gel color?  Cause i had the SAME thing happen to me. I painted the chocolate brown onto white fondant ...bottom tier (was trying to keep it from being too dark....usually to get a dark brown I mix a little black...but i didn't do that this time cause i was trying to go light tan)  This is what happened.  It looks so orange in the photo...not so much in person...but against that brown, it looked so orange for sure.  What is wrong with the chocolate brown????

carrotcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotcake1 Posted 9 Feb 2017 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 16

that is amazing!!!  love it!!  thank you for the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%