Fondant Cupcake Topper Help!!! Please :)

Baking By pveloz Updated 28 Mar 2012 , 10:07pm by pveloz

pveloz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pveloz Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all,

So I know that you have probably seen cupcakes that have a helping of frosting on top and a flat circular piece of fondant on top and then a fondant decoration on top of that

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre5jzVPG41qzbac9o1_500.jpg

(click on link for example)

Well I would like to know how to do this. I have tried and my decorations slipped off or the fondant got all soft. Please help me!
I would really like to know how to do this. Is it a certain frosting? Is it fondant or gum paste? Any info would help thanks a bunch!
LL

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 5

You make all your fondant pieces ahead of time and let them dry really well. I would use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste since it dries harder and faster. Then ice the cupcakes and put the decorations on at the last possible minute, making sure they are as flat and level as possible. I glue all the pieces together ahead of time so I only put on one piece (does that make sense?). HTH

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

I agree. You want to make the toppers well in advance and allow them to dry. After you place them on the cupcakes do not put them in an airtight container. That will cause the fondant to soften and get shiney.

pveloz Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 5

yes thank you soo much! that really helps a lot

pveloz Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you price! i will make sure not to put them in an airtight container

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%