Does Anyone Know What This Was?

Decorating By pounds6 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 3:59am by pounds6

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 11

I went to a 40th birthday party. The host ordered the cake from a friend of hers. It was beautiful but I didnt look like my cakes for some reason. When we cut it I found that what looked like fondant was some paper thin substance. It didnt have muc stretch to it and it wasnt sweet. Whoever made it must have run it through a printer cause the zebra stripes were printed on it. Does anyone know what this might have been? I havent worked with sugarveil but I didnt think it came in sheets or that you could print on it.

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 11

I think Wilton has sugar sheets, as well as Duff. I could be wrong though. Did it cover the entire cake? Or was it just around the sides? I have never worked with the sheets before.

pounds6 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 11

It covered the entire cake. The bow on top and borders were all made with it too. I tried attaching a photo of it but im getting an error about pixels or something.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 11

Probably the pre-printed Wilton or Luck's sugar sheets.

You can find them at Wilton.com

Rae

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 11

Or wafer paper.

shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 11

Or wafer paper. Or edible rice paper. Both are very like paper, rather than icing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 11

Wafer paper and rice paper are one and the same thing.
The newest form is what is being sold as 'sugar sheets'.
Most of them come pre-printed with many different patterns.

shanter Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 11

The way it was explained to me by a cake expert was that edible rice paper is made of rice flour. Wafer paper is often made from potato starch. But essentially they act alike.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:33am
post #10 of 11

Was it smoothed over the cake (top and sides) or were the top and sides possibly applied separately (as evidenced by a very crisp corner with a seam showing or a border covering said seam)? It's probably the edible imaging sheets, I have used them like that before with intricate patterns. It's great! The only thing I don't like is the size limitation of each piece, so I try to sell the customers on square cakes.

pounds6 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11

I got a chance to take a look and I know exactly what it was now...the preprinted sugar sheets. I must be honest, it tasted awful and I would never use them on a cake. Perhaps as a accent on fondant or something but not to cover the entire cake with. Thanks for all your input. It was a new one on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%