Fondant In The Frig

Business By syarber Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 2:50pm by TexasSugar

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:54am
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have seen several videos where professional bakers put a fondant cake int the frig. Are these a special type of frig? I have always been told not to and seen several times on his site not as well. So do any of you that own businesses do this or have a special frig for this? If so could please tell me what type it is so I can do more research on it. TIA

7 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

There are 1000s of threads on this topic with 1/2 the posters saying "no, it ruins the cake" and the other 1/2 saying "sure, I do it all the time".

Your best bet is do make a 6" cake, cover it with fondant and stick it in the refrigerator over night. Then you will know for a certain if your fondant and refrigerator mix okay.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 8

I second the previous poster: test a small cake and see how it goes. I live in a very dry, arid location and I use the fridge all the time for fondant.

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 8

I live in oregon lots of rain yay! I thought I had read somewhere about low moisture frigs. Not sure if that is the right term. I know in my frig right now the fondant will melt. I'm looking at slowly buying new equipment and wanted to research it more.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 8

I use a basic frig and make it colder when I need to put cakes in it. But thats just my preference I like to lay fondant on my cakes when there almost frozen to get nice clean lines and also when storing the cakes after decorated. They are fine 100 percent of the time in the frig. Never had a problem.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

I put fondant cakes in the frig all the time, I may have one of those "low moisture" refrigerators and didn't know it!! LOL!! icon_redface.gif

When I do put it in the frig, I put it in a box, then I wrap the open parts of the box in saran wrap, making sure no air gets in. I've had no problems when I do this.

HTH icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 8

I also put mine in the fridge and wrap it.. never had a problem with it!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

I think another thing to consider is the humidity in your area. If you live in a high humidity area, then there is a big chance you will have to deal with condensation.

I saw Broween Webber at a demo last summer and she said she put every one of her cakes in the fridge/cooler, and I was thinking how in the world do you do that here in Texas. She went on to say they boxed all there cakes and used the packets of stuff that absorbs moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%