Titanic Cake Help

Decorating By ChristineCMC Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 1:55pm by jgifford

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:40am
post #1 of 9

My son's 12th birthday is the same day as the day the Titanic struck the iceberg. With all the hoopla about it being the 100th anniversary, my son has decided he wants a Titanic cake for his birthday. He is leaving the design up to meicon_smile.gif

I have two ideas, but am unsure as to which would be the best way to go.

1. Buy some square cake dummies to as the bow and stern (I think that's right) of the ship. I could carve them to the right shape and make the middle of the ship actual cake since we do not need that much cake. I have never worked with cake dummies, so would love some feedback on those that have. I think this would be a good learning experience

or

2. Make a cake and ice as the ocean with small life boats in it. I could then make the back of the ship out of RKT, cover it in fondant, and have it look like the other have is submerged. I could add icebergs too. This would also be a good learning experience, but I don't think would have the wow factor as the above cake.

Would love some suggestions as his birthday is in a few weeks and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

8 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 5:22am
post #2 of 9

Hi,

I love the 1st idea icon_smile.gif I haven't used cake dummies for carving before BUT, I have heard that some ppl carve them and then to get it smooth, sand it down using either sandpaper or the harder foams (the green ones) to smooth rough edges etc.

I hope our fellow cakers chime in. You have some great ideas.

Good Luck

ChristineCMC Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 9

I too like the first idea better, I'm just REALLY nervous about attempting it. If it comes out nice, it would definitely be awesome. Then again, if it comes out bad I've just ruined my son's birthday.

I do think that I might be bold and go for it, but I've NEVER worked with cake dummies before. Hope I get some more feedback as I'm going to have to commit to a design soon as his birthday is in 3 weeks!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 4:14am
post #4 of 9

You can do this!! Just attack it reassuring yourself that YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Nickaai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickaai Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 9

Hey I might be doing a titanic cake too at the end of the month. Would love to know if the cake dummy idea worked for you. Best of luck with it, please share pics once it's done! icon_smile.gif

ChristineCMC Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

I'm making the cake this week and will let you know how it turns out. I've decided to go with a bottom tier as a cake dummy. I'm going to bake a sheet cake and carve it. I'm going to make the smoke stacks out of gelatin icing.

Nickaai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickaai Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

Good idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 9

My vote is for your first idea.....you go Girl!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 9

Just take it one step at a time and it won't seem so monumental. And you're ds will love it no matter what it looks like. Aren't kids wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%