Need Help... Rather Odd Question!

Business By Lazy_Susan1963 Updated 18 Mar 2012 , 12:42am by Lazy_Susan1963

Lazy_Susan1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan1963 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

My daughter lives in Southern California and owns a children's fantasy birthday party company. The other day she asked me to help her find out about California law on her providing the full birthday package to include the birthday cake baked and decorated by herself. Can anyone help me with this information?
Thanks,
Lazy_Susan

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 2:02am
post #2 of 7

There's a thread about California working toward a cottage food law http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7271971&highlight=#7271971

Lazy_Susan1963 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 2:07am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

There's a thread about California working toward a cottage food law http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7271971&highlight=#7271971

So, the Cottage Food Law would pertain to her? I'll check it out.
Thanks

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 2:33am
post #4 of 7

The CFL has not yet been passed, so until it does (if it passes at all) your daughter would need an inspected commercial kitchen in order to sell cake.

Lazy_Susan1963 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 11:08am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

The CFL has not yet been passed, so until it does (if it passes at all) your daughter would need an inspected commercial kitchen in order to sell cake.

So for right now if she wanted to offer cakes in her package birthday parties she would have to either be licensed or buy them from someone who is?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan1963

So for right now if she wanted to offer cakes in her package birthday parties she would have to either be licensed or buy them from someone who is?

She would need to have a business license (which I assume she already has) and pass a health dept inspection of her kitchen space. I'm not sure what the rules are for buying cake from someone else and passing it along to the customer, if it stays in the original packaging until the customer takes possession she may be OK but her local health dept would be able to confirm.

Lazy_Susan1963 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 12:42am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan1963

She would need to have a business license (which I assume she already has) and pass a health dept inspection of her kitchen space. I'm not sure what the rules are for buying cake from someone else and passing it along to the customer, if it stays in the original packaging until the customer takes possession she may be OK but her local health dept would be able to confirm.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%